SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highjack

Question for the cat experts!

highjack
17 years ago

OK, I admit I'm not a cat expert but I've always had an outside cat since moving to the country. As we all know, cat and dog personalities are at the opposite end of the spectrum from each other, rather like the difference between men and women.

My cat is now about 12 years old and won't hunt anymore and moles are running wild around here. We started talking about getting another cat and lo and behold, what shows up is a young female cat. She was a skeleton, had obvious fight injuries but was super friendly to us. She had to have been someones pet that was tossed out in the country or hitchhiked via an unsuspecting vehicle. She would hiss and jump my cat but I thought eventually they would work it out, particularly if the food bowl was always full. Nope, ain't a happening thing. My cat wouldn't fight and got to the point she wouldn't come in the yard, was sleeping in the barn and we had to carry food to her. We took the other cat to a no kill shelter and hopefully will get a good home.

Could I bring in a couple of kittens that wouldn't threaten her or fight with her? She has not been an agressive cat in the past and lets anyone eat out of her food bowl. Most kittens are full of themselves and I thought if there were two, they could play with each other and the dogs.

Darn that stray cat. She was so sweet. I had named her Chatterbox because she followed me everywhere, talking the entire time, when I was stupid and stayed in the sun, she was smart and would lay under a clump of daylilies in the shade. If someone flung their pet cat out to fend for themselves, there is a special place for people like that.

Brooke - who is losing the mole war.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!