SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njbiology

questions for experienced experts re: host plants

njbiology
16 years ago

Hi,

I have a 60 x 90 yard. I built a 6,000 gallon wildlife pond (using liner; not natural), two streams, and an extensive bog-marsh system set up, completely naturalized.

My interest is in regards to minnows, amphibians, native plants, and butterflies (as well as other insects).

I want to grow a number of butterfly host plants to appropriate for ever one of the local butterflies (northern NJ).

This list includes (for instance): wild indigo; plaintains; paw paw; salix spp.; clovers spp.; dock; ruta gravoleans; mallow; spicebush; Queen Anne's Lace; serviceberry shrubs; sweetbay magnolia trees; toadflax; various grasses; stinging nettle; butter-and-eggs; chokecherry; various cornus spp./dogwoods; daisies, sunflowers, asters, and black-eye-susan; verbena spp.; vetch spp.; wilkweed spp.; peas and vegitables; hops; viburnum spp.; pipevine; alfafa, mustard, parsely; curly dock; false foxglove; violets spp.; thistles spp.; holyhock; ironweed; everlasting spp.; lead plant; monkeyflower (M. rigens); and aphid hosting currants spp.

1. As is, with the willow tree I have, the mature spicebush shrubs, and a few other things, including immature sweetbay magnolias and serviceberry shrubs, I NEVER see butterfly caterpillers. Do I need a greater amount?

2. Do flowers attract butterflys to the area; or are egg-laying butterflies disinterested in flowers, so as to make their influence minimal?

3. Do you think that, for instance, the Eastern Tigerswallowtails around will use my sweetbay magnolias - since there are really no sweetbay magnolias in the area for them to be familiar with this cosidered-host plant?

4. Do you think that a 10' x 10' patch of nettles will attract egg-layers in a region with many red-admirals and other brush foots?

5. Will salix discolor ('pussy willow') be visited for egg-laying by Viceroys - I know they will be by mourning cloaks.

6. Will red-spotted purples and tiger swallowtails really use serviceberry (amelanchier canadensis)?

7. Will TIGER swallowtails also use spicebush as a host?

8. Anything I should have included in the above list, excluding large trees?

9. Will rotting fruit from mulberry and persimmon trees attract butterflies that eat rotting fruit?

10. Will butterflies use fruiting cherry trees that are cultivars (i.e. starkrimson sweet-cherry; lapins) to host upon?

Thanks,

Steve

Comments (11)

Sponsored