SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nemoooo

Help! Is my Douglas Fir dying??

17 years ago

Could someone please tell me if you think this tree is dying or is there a chance it will make it? And if there is anything I can/should do for it? It is a 6 ft. Douglas Fir, that was planted in December (right after Christmas). The weather here in PA was unseasonably warm at the time, and it has been pretty wet so we have really only watered it a couple times since it was planted. It is about 10 feet north of our 6 ft. wooden fence, and the ground is usually fairly moist back there. Our soil is on the clay side, with lots of shale (we are on top of a mountain basically). The tree does get pretty heavy north and west winds - as can be seen by the small leaning arb to the west of this tree. It gets partial sun, due to a row of white pines about 20 feet south of it.

It started with a browning branch near the bottom, but looks like it is spreading. I am not a conifer expert by any means, but if you ask me it appears to have an overall brownish tinge to it, not the beautiful bluish-green color it had when we planted it. Anyway, here is the pic.. sorry I don't have a close-up, I just snapped this quickly from the kitchen window, but if anyone needs a close-up please let me know and I will try to take one and post it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

{{gwi:687449}}

Comments (10)