SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
unununium_5a

Douglas Fir or Cedar for a Raised Garden Bed

Unununium
8 years ago

Hello

I am planning to buy two 4" x 12" x 16' timbers for a raised garden and am trying to decide between cedar and Douglas fir. So, before you give a quick answer, please read on as to why I ask. Because cedar is more rot resistant I would normally pick it over Douglas Fir. However, cedar is about $70 more expensive per timber than Douglas Fir at Menard's. $180 vs $110.

I have read that Douglas fir is moderately rot resistant, so I'm thinking it could be an option and not rot to quickly. Further, I was reading about Eco Wood Treatment and thought I could get that in an effort to add more protection. They claim they it's organic and won't leach into soil or water. Maybe someone has experience with it? I also thought about something natural like teak oil that could help provide protection against rot. My hesitancy with that is that the oil could leach into the soil and possibly reduce microbial activity. Of course, I don't want that if my assumption is correct... but it's just that.. an assumption, which is why I'm seeking feedback. I'd like to stay organic, so if anyone can provide thoughts on the above, I would appreciate it

Thank you

Doug

Comments (2)