SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

Story of our home and how we got it...(a Christmas story..)

User
16 years ago

It is kind of an interesting tale so thought maybe you might like to hear it.

We got our first house in 1979 .We had always been in married student housing or cheap apts. My DH was a post-doc at U of U in SLC UT. WE had 2 babies and couldn't come East to pick out a house when he was hired at AU . My folks were at their home in N.O. and they offered to drive up to Auburn and look around and call and tell us what was available and then we would be able to make a decision.

My Dad was an old "horse trader" from way back. He always paid cash for cars, houses...you name it. Just put your foot up on the bumper and pull out a big cigar and make a deal. Daddy was 6ft tall and 250 # not a man to be taken lightly. No pun intended.

He and Momma looked at a couple houses and then called us to say that they had found one that met our needs. We said OK but that we would have to arrange financing etc and we had no downpayment etc. Daddy said not to worry and hung up. The next day he called and said he had completed the deal and the papers were in the mail and we had a house . Our first and sight unseen. We stayed in that house til 2002.

Fast forward to Summer 2001. My DH and I had a crazy idea that we would like to have an old house to restore and enjoy , even though we didn't know a thing about restoring one and are not handy at all. We looked around and there were none that we liked but we told a friend in the Historic District that if one came up to let us know.

Months passed and my Daddy who now lived in FL with Momma got sick. It was his first and last illness, he was 92 years old. I left my job as an RN in AL and my family and moved in with my folks to take care of Daddy. It was a very hard time for all of us. He had always been so active and in control.

My DH called during the 1 st week of December and said he had gotten a call about an old house in the Historic District and that there was this great thing called the Victorian Porch Tour and and and...I was up to my elbows in taking care of Daddy and basically said I can't listen to this and I'm not interested. I had Momma hang up the phone as she was holding it to my ear...I really was up to my elbows...

My DH and DD got in the car and went to see the house. It was not on the market yet but the owner said he had mentioned to our friend , in passing , that he was going to need to move in a couple months. Our friend called DH and that was that. DH said he and DD pulled up out front and he looked at her and said ," I hope they don't want too much money 'cause I want that porch !". DD and DH went in and walked around. She called my on her cell and said ," Momma we are in a mansion!!" Again I passed it off as 2 raving lunatics and hung up. DH asked the owner what it would take to keep him from showing the house to anyone else. They came to a deal and DH bought our current home in December 2001.

He sold our home in Auburn in 2 weeks and packed all our stuff and moved it to the new house in March 2002. I was still in FL with Momma and Daddy.I had seen pictures of the "new house" but that was all. Daddy passed away in June 2002. I sold their house in Eustis FL and we moved Momma up here to AL.

When we pulled up in front Momma looked out the window and started to cry. She said it looked just like the house she had grown up in, in Ohio. Indeed it does look almost exactly like that house. I had not seen a picture in years and DH had not seen one ever so it must have been destiny. Momma's birthday would have been December 28. c

Comments (22)

Sponsored