SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Will cooler temps be harmful to my plants indoors this winter?

meyermike_1micha
14 years ago

I didn't know how to word this..Hopefully I do where someone understands.. Here we go..

This is in reference to my container citrus and gardenias..In particular, lemon meyer, ponderosa lemon, grapefruit, and one gardenia. A few little gardenias will be on the sill in the windows...

I don't feel like dealing with spidermites nor feel like paying a high heating bill this winter.

I was wondering what is the coolest that I can keep my room temps at where my citrus and such will still perform well?

If I raise the heat, then I deal with pests and humidity issues.

This year I would love to grow all my citrus in a much cooler climate indoors...Is this a bad idea?

I have never done this before. Can they take it?

Can I keep the room temps in the, let's say the 60's and 70's by day, and 50's by night and still have healthy plants?

Do I have to back off on my supplemental lighting to match the temps that are cooler? I have heard I could get lots of leaf loss with lots of light and cooler temps. Would just regular sunlight from south facing windows do, or should I still keep lights on at 8 or more hours a day like I did last year when my plant room was extra warm, at these cool temps? I am also having a skylight installed in that room by November..

Hopefully, someone might know where I am coming from.

Thanks alot

Comments (14)