SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

Variegated Lemon?

birdsnblooms
15 years ago

Does anyone grow Variegated Lemon trees?

I bought two, 3-5 yrs ago. This summer, both sent out fruit for the first time. What a surprise when I noticed the fruit were variegated too..

Does anyone know how large these lemons get when ripe? Are they edible?

For some reason, variegated lemon trees aren't discussed as often as other lemon types, eg. Meyers and Ponderosas.

Is there a reason this type is rarely mentioned? Thanks, Toni

Comments (24)

• citrusenthusiast
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

They will get about the size of other eureka lemons 2-3/4" long x 2-1/4" wide. Just as edible as most lemons you would find in a grocery store (not like a meyer). Wait till you cut them open and see the pink flesh (but no they are not the source for pink lemonade).

Here is a link that might be useful: variety info

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Citrus.
    What did you mean when you said, (about var lemon fruit)
    'would find in a grocery store, not like a meyer?'
    Meyer isn't sold in grocery stores? If not, what do they do with them? LOL
    Mine probably won't mature since they're nowhere near the size you mention. Not with winter so near..then again, who knows..fruit grows all year..Thanks, Toni

• Related Discussions

Also, will my variegated lemon tree fully develop all 26 plus lemons?

Q

Comments (7)
    If you get Dollies or Hand-Trucks you should be able to move it in and out with out much trouble, even if you have a short set of stairs. I moved 15 gallon pots all over the place with one when I worked at a nursery, and I'm a 54 year old lady. If you have a long flight of stair it's tougher, but can be done, with two people. Your tree would just do a lot better in a larger pot and have a much better chance of bringing fruit to fully ripe. You make a soil mix up that is fairly light, and you should be able to water it more often then. Coir is lighter than peat, and perlite is lighter than sand or grit.
    ...See More

Pink variegated lemon

Q

Comments (29)
    Matt, yes I love that tree! I noticed Josh asked you a while back and I assume that you love it! I almost lost mine over the winter. I under watered it and the whole thing defoliated and lost a few branches..I had to cut it way back. I thought it was a goner until I noticed beautiful growth the other day. I will post a pic for you. Looking good! Do you eat your fruit? Use it for other things? Evan, all I can say is awesome!! Love your variegated tree. Always have. It must give you great pleasure to look at it right before sundown and right before sunrise to light up your yard.
    ...See More

Good deal on variegated lemon

Q

Comments (15)
    :-) The first of two variegated lemon trees I ordered arrived today. Fortunately it was only in the mail for seven days, lost no leaves and looks robust. The down side is that on removing it from the packaging (and superb job of packaging btw) the root ball tumbled. Looked like it had been plopped down in the upper half of the pot, and roots were dry. No matter, soaked the roots, cleaned and it potted up- and will keep fingers crossed. On arrival. Plant measures about 21" x 12". The root ball that looks llke it was set on top of soil in the pot. Here he is with citrus, plumeria and avocado family. The purple cast is an LED light. I use almost 100% T5HO lights but have a few LED's here and there. Really pleased. If nothing else and it crumps after awhile, I'm thrilled with the way it looks now and will enjoy it while it lasts. Hate to be so pessimistic but what does one expect for $15 including shipping? Next is a Minneola tangelo I ordered from Harris. Thinking about ordering a key lime from Hirts too. Anyone have thoughts about that? $35 including shipping, I doubt it would be much bigger than this little lemon. Thank you for all your help everyone.
    ...See More

Pink variegated lemon with brown spots

Q

Comments (0)
    Hello all, My eureka lemon tree has recently started to get large brown spots on its leaves. They are mostly on the edges of the leaves. I am hoping it is not citrus canker. What do you guys think It might be? i am in central N.C. and we have had tons of rain lately. Thanks for any help!
    ...See More
  • birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Going to try posting pics again..Don't know if it's my computer or GW is having problems..
    Here's photos of the rootstock.

{{gwi:625369}}

{{gwi:625370}}

{{gwi:625371}}

{{gwi:625372}}

These aren't the best pics, and I relalize the tree needs a stake..Toni

• orchidguyftl
    15 years ago

have a variegated lemon tree here
    they are a variety of eureka lemon
    when the variegation leaves the fruit and the whole fruit is yellow, it will be ripe
    wonderful flavor
    makes a great pink lemonade
    they produce flowers and fruit year round, though most abundant flower production is in the springtime

i also have meyer and ponderosa too, both also great varieties of lemon

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Orchid. I see you're in Fl..are your citrus grown in-ground or containers?
    Meyer and Ponderosa are my favorites, too. Meyer's blooms year round..Its fruit takes several months to ripen, but that's okay. My citrus are grown as ornamentals, (I don't care for lime/lemon taste, lol)
    Oranges are good, but it's impossible getting Navel to grow a full, ripe size here in Il. The same with grapefruit. Calamondin, kumquats, limes and lemons are the only fruit that actually ripen. In other words, my oranges and grapefruit have never produced mature fruit..they get (X) size, and that's it, folks.
    Thanks for the info. I guess you grow orchids, too????
    When do you think the citrus ban will end? Have you heard the latest news? Feels like it's gone on forever. Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    15 years ago

Toni..
    Would you believe I have two navel orange trees and I actually get them to ripen and they taste the best. Seedless even. In fact they are both loaded with blossoms as we speak!! They have a very potent sweet smell!! I even they smell better than "lemon meyers". The fruit ripend of course when I can put them at my work in front of big huge windows all winter too... In fact I have two oranges growing on one tree right now the size of baseballs and the trees are only about 3 feet high..My prettiest and best!
    Mike

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mike, really?? Wow, that's terrific!! What do you do? Winter lighting? Maybe my citrus aren't getting enough fertilizer.
    This summer is a first navels fruited, but fruit is small, a little larger than golf-ball size. Well, actually they set fruit last summer, but dropped at pea-size.
    The last few years, I've been slacking off..(with gardening and other plants) plus because I fert with citrus slow-release, I fear overfeeding. Yet there are people here who use citrus plus additional ferts. Though I assmumed they got away with it since most live in Fl/Ca.
    Starting next spring, I'm going to use additional ferts. Many here boast about MG.
    What fert/s do you use, Mike? How many citrus do you have all together?
    BTW, how are your palms coming along? Does the one, forgot its name, still have red fronds?
    I'm a bit pissed at my bird, the same little guy who spilled liquid on my keyboard, wetting the left shift key..it's stuck.
    I had baby palms sitting on the table. He flew in the kitchen and devoured most of the leaves..Palms are slow-growing to begin with, now I have to trim off broken leaves which means there will be one or two left per palm.
    Anyway, congrats..Do you have any pics of your navel? Tree and fruit? If so, will you post? Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    15 years ago

Toni...You are not kidding when you say Palms are slow to grow....Remember when I ordered my seedlings of palms? I even brought some home from Puerto Rico. Would you believe although being outside all summer, none of them opened a new frod yet..What the heck? I will be old and grey before I ever see these things grow at all!!!!
    All I did for the "navel orange" tree I get lots of fruit from is feed a couple times a month MG miracid. That's it...Toni, remmeber though, that is the tree that I grow at work all winter long in FULL FULL sun in front of huge windows. Now that I no longer work there, lets see what happens to them this year growing under lights in my plant room. That tree grew in a hot,heated,dry sunny room all winter,and never a mite or pest to be found on that tree!! Crazy ha. I picked 5 oranges of that tree, all seedless, and very juicy and sweet. The owner of my company wanted me to bring them back..lol
    Stupid bird ha.....My cat I want to kill...want to trade...lol
    Toni, I use to winter 3 trees over at my job..What the heck am I going to do now? I have at least 6 trees and 9 little ones that all have to compete for sun in my sun room that only has two windows only 40 inches wide!!!
    Now I have to run even more lights all winter...oh..my poor electric bill!!!
    I still have to bring in at least 50 plants Toni.
    several Clivias to go in cellar, several palms to go in the plant room not in the sun, several citrus to go in the windows, 2 gardenias, and other stuff....I want a greenhouse so bad..I can taste it. Just a small 8x10 to put in my back yard that I can keep heated all winter. But toni, they are so stinkin expensive!!
    By the way....You are so so funny. I love the way you responded to the thread on the SuperThrive experiment and the way the member typed out his question..lololol
    have a nice night tonight, and thanks again for everything you do...Mike

• orchidguyftl
    15 years ago

hey Toni
    yeah in Florida here, love it.
    I also have blood orange, Buddahs hand, pink pummillo, honey bell, persian lime, key lime, valencia orange, red valencia orange as far as citrus.
    Coffee, 3 types of sugar cane (love the black and red varieties), 2 types of chocoloate/cacao, guava, bay leaf (its about 10' tall), rosemary, black pepper, coconuts, bananas, gingers, star fruits, dragon fruit, jackfruit, breadfruit, 2 types of cinnamon, tree ferns and yes lots of orchids most are in pots at the moment
    couple are in the ground
    John

• meyermike_1micha
    15 years ago

What's your point orchidguyftl,,,Are you trying to make us jelous!!1ololol
    You are so fortunate because I would be in heaven living in a living greenhouse covered by sunny skies like Florida if I was there..... Nice choice of plants.
    Toni...where are you?
    I will patiently wait for your measurements!! HUGS
    Mike

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Mike..Mike 10 yrs ago I had several small palms in little pots.,because I really wasn't 'into' [a;,s, I potted together, mostly for space.. But they look best when grown indivually.
    Some palms that were planted in the ground this summer grew, but not much..my favorite palm died, thanks to the dogs..urine doesn't help plants, by no means. I really wanted that particular palm to live. Its leaves looked like Ruffles potato chips.
    Did u have any problems transporting plants from PR?? Do they need to be quarantined first?
    Were they shipped to your house or flown by plane?
    None of your palms grew a frond? You're kidding? Wonder why? That is weird..do you fertilize? One thing I discovered about fertilizing palms and ferns are, one month, I use a high-nit fert, well-diluted. The next time around they get palm fert. (slow-release) Never overfert a palm, they're slow-growing and slow-growing plants need much less fert than quick growing plants.
    Was your navel the citrus kept at work? Which direction does their window face? You haven't any other windows at home big and bright enough to overwinter? What about artificial light? Heck, buy a shop light, hook to ceiling. Keep on a few hours per night.
    What's ironic is, there's a Chinese restaurant in town.. windows face north..Yet they have 2 huge citrus trees that fruit/flower continuously. It's rather dark inside, too. The pots are huge. lol.
    Are you going to winter your citrus at work or home?
    Well, whatever you did with your navel, you did good. Next spring I'm going to buy a box of MG.
    Citrus fert is okay, but you know, seems like citrus did better when given Azalea fert instead.
    My Gardenias get Azalea fert, too. Sprinkle and water..plus Superthrive and Epsom Salts.

Mike, most of my citrus are wintered in the gh, 5 or so indoors. Those in the house grow/fruit at the same speed as those in the gh. This summer, they've really grown. I have an old 10' wide shelf citrus in the gh..since trees grew, the shelf only holds 9 trees, last year it held about 15..don't know where the others will go, guess they're coming in the house..problem is space and light.
    Hibiscus also take a lot of room..they're placed in the back plant room with citrus, clivias, gardenias, geraniums, coffee tree, ferns, ivy, a few succulents, asparagus ferns and relatives, and Sans. and then some.
    Mike, you'll MAKE room. I don't like when leaves rub against eath other..but what can we do?
    Even if the Fl ban ends, I doubt I'll add more citrus.

What type of lights do you use? Fluorscents opposed to bulbs are less in cost and safer too. Cut down somewhere else..lol..that's easier said than done, especially when daylight end at 4pm. sheesh.
    My family laugh when they stop by..they say, our house looks like a Christmas tree..lolol..It's rather dark here, very few street lights, most ppl keep one light and tv going..not us.
    Lol, you and i have about the same amount of plants to bring indoors..sigh..it's supposed to warm up this wkend, so I'm going to wait till then..they all need hosing before coming in, I don't want to hose when days are chilly..some smaller plants can be cleaned in the sink, but if those darn spiders run and hide, oh boy.

Pick a warm day..what are the temps there? if over 70, hose outside before bringing in..hose and rehose. Soil and foliage. that's what I'm planning on doing..don't want thick-legged spiders in the house..yuck.

You want a gh? Perhaps you should have cancelled your trip..you probably could have got a nice-size gh instead. Mine is only 8x12..small..wish it was larger.but money was an issue, not to mention, larger gh's need more heat.
    Mike, research..There should be sales this time of year. Because the economy is so messed up, you may be able to find a true bargain..
    What do you consider expensive? Like I said, look around.
    Even if you find one on sale, there's the expense hiring someone to build it. Unless you know ppl willing to help, do it yourself..It's a big job, especially when it comes to the base, and hauling bag after bag of flooring.

As for my reponse to the ST thread, Mike, one has to have a sense of humor on GW. lol. Some topics need to be taken lightly.. otherwise we'll lose our temper and find ourselves in Disnyland..lol.

Great job with your navels..if you have pics, please post.

Hey John..you have quite a selection..lucky you, living in Fl..Are your trees in the ground?
    Most likely..those of us, poor frozen people, struggle keeping plants alive.
    A friend sent Cocoa seeds that need sowing. I know nothing about its care..is yours is full sun? Does it need humidity? What type of fertilizer?
    How did you start sugar cane..from seeds? I once did an experiment using sugar cane bought at a grocery store..it was placed horizontally in soil, but didn't do a thing..lol..
    I dote on Cinnamon ferns, but the house hasn't the humidity they require. There is a hardy Cinnamon fern which truly looks like cinnamon. But they go dormant in winter.
    Does your Buddha's Hand fruit? I've pretty much given up trying to grow one. What do you do with fruit? Make candy?
    How many of the plants you mentioned, if any, grow in pots?
    I have ornamental Black Pepper, green and silver foliage that vines..does your BP hang?
    I never heard of jack or bread fruit..what are they?
    Do you have pics? It's great viewing others plants.

Mike my measurements? Well, let's see 36-24-36..lol j/k..Which measurments? I must have missed something..I'm typing fast, in a hurry here..need to do some work and prepare dinner..and type too..lol..
    Please let me know which measurements you mean..okay?

Yeah, John is sitting their boasting, laughing at us midwest/easterners trying to grow plants in dry, sunless homes..lol..Just kidding, John..Count your blessings.
    We do everything in our power to duplicate tropical climates..though it takes effort, we get it done. I prefer sun to artificial lights, but sunny days in Il are rare from autumn through winter. That's when extra lights go on. Humidifers, showers, misting. Humidity trays..fans. And so much more.
    It could be worse; we could live in North Pole, with Santa. lol
    Lugging plants to the sink/shower during winter is a great, free exorcise program. gotta think positive. Otherwise, might as well give up, toss plants.

Mike let me know about the measurement and when you bring plants inside..don't forget to check around for gh prices. I'll look for my old invoice..hugs, Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    15 years ago

What I menat by measurement is how much of each product do you put in your home made pest killer liquid..LOl
    I would like to make a quart at a time. Do I use 10 drops of dish soap? A table spoon of garlic? and so on.Not sure how much of citrus rind or juice either. I really want to use your idea all winter and soray everything every couple of weeks as you do whether I see any pests or not to avoid problems...Thanks alot Toni!!!
    By the way, the airport let me take a couple of palms home as long as I brought no soil in the roots. I had to bring them barerooted.
    That is probabaly where all my palms belong, in the ground in the tropics...lol
    Yes I use plant lights all winter. But great news, the owner of my new place says I can winter some of my trees here in the huge windowed south facing showroom...YEAH!!!!!! No worries about room at my house now!!!! Nice ha.
    Toni. I still don't know how to put pictures onto the computer, let alone post them to here. tell you what, i will take pictures tommorrow and then you can walk me thre it ok. I will find someone to help me at least download my pictures on my laptop ok...I willbe excted if i learn this. Then you cal all see what my trees look like!!
    have a great night!! Sorry for misprint. I had to rush this one. Take care for now ok...
    Mike..I will read your response to this later....

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Mike..
    Hmm, let's see, a quart bottle. My misters range from 12-16oz, but I pretty much use the same amount despite size since all ingredients are harmless.
    So, double the dosage. You would use:

32oz water.
    6-7 drops dishsoap..(don't use Dawn)
    1-2 teas (liquid lime or lemon) or 1 teas ground citrus rind..I use rind w/a larger mister, pieces can clog small sprayers.
    2-3 cloves garlic..Squish garlic until juiced..squishing is easier than chopping garlic, small pieces can also clog spayer which is why squishing juice is preferred. If you prepare this the night before use, I recommend, adding leftover garlic in water.
    Hot Pepper, eg. Cayenne/powder..sprinkle in mix..1/4-1/2 teas
    Shake thoroughly..after mixing and before using.

If you decide to use Fish Emulsion as a scale preventative, add 2 caps. FE is only to be used 1-2 times.

You lucked out carrying plants on the plane..Does soil carry disease? Or do airlines ban soil because of weight?

I'm certain plants are happy in the tropics, but with some effort, plants survive our dreary winters.

Congrats on your new place and the owners permission..now you'll have room and light..good..one less worry..:)

Dl pics and we'll walk you through..Someone posted this past summer, explaining how it's done from Flicker. She explained in a few sentences..lol.
    Before Flicker my pics were stored on Yahoo. But yahoo no longer has a photo option, so they transferred pics to Flicker.
    Photo Bucket is supposed to be simple, but I've never used it. Then again, it may be self-explanatory. We'll try though Mike, good luck..hugs, Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    15 years ago

As always Toni..Thanks a million. Now I can go into the winter prepared!!!
    I will keep you posted. have agreat weekend and here is a hug!!
    Mike

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mike, I just stepped outside and it IS cold..They said the wkend would warm up, but changed their minds..great.
    Now they're predicting warmer days,next wk..What to do?
    Have a great wkend, Toni

• orchidguyftl
    15 years ago

well i wasnt trying to make fun of anyone
    sorry if anyone took it that way, was just sharing
    i used to live in PA and believe it or not, grew everything i have under lights indoors moving to south florida proved to be MUCH cheaper
    lol
    Cinnamon ferns, hhmmm i miss those had a bunch in the yard in PA. Love my cinnamon trees though and have always loved tree ferns.
    My Buddhas hand does produce as does my room mates. Most of my plants are still in pots, large ones.
    As for the cacoa trees they are in semi sun, they get a little during the early morning and very late afternoon, I have them underneath one of by very large bamboos. Cacao in their juvenile stage dont like full sun and can burn easily.
    Jack fruit if\s the largest fruit that grows on a tree, the fruit gets to be about 60 - 80 lbs per fruit, yes thats pounds, the things are HUGE, but fantastic ripe fresh fruits, they have a taste like somebody combined pineapple, banana and mild overtones of coconut, depending on the variety. if you want to know what they taste like just pop in a piece of juicyfruit gum, the gum it flavored just like jackfruit.
    the seeds can be roasted and eaten just like chestnuts.
    Breadfruit is related to jackfruit, but much smaller in the tropics it is baked and eaten like a starchy bread or veggie, I'm personally not too fond of breadfruit, but i may just not have had it cooked right.
    the sugar cane, I bought large canes at one of the local farmers markets and planted them vertically in pots. i have some other plants started of the sugar cane, 10 plants of the black and 3 of the red
    i have no idea how to post on here otherwise I'd try to post some pics
    the black pepper vine is in a hanging pot on the fence and since pretty much taken over, well its growing near 2 varieties of passion fruit, quadrangularis which gets fruit about the size of a football and is a great tasting variety and the other type of passionfruit is called water lemon, i forget the botanical off the top of my head, but is about the size of a softball and tastes like someone mixed passion fruit and lemons.
    think i covered it all, if not, let me know
    John

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Howdy,
    Mike was poking fun..he lol'ed after the Fl comment. lol.
    John, do you keep plants indoors, too?

Oh, yes, I remember Juicy Fruit gum..it was delicious. There's a good number of fruits I've never tasted..
    Sometimes while shopping, they sell unidentifiable fruits, can't name, let alone figure how they're eaten. lol
    A couple months ago Jewel (grocery store) sold avocados nearly twice the size of the average 'cado. I bought one for the pit..lol..It rooted in water, now in soil. Don't know if it'll grow larger leaves, or if there's any difference between both types, it's an experiment. I don't expect trees to grow 'cados, but they're interesting. Is avacado a fruit or veggie? lol..Gotta check it out.

A 60-80 lb fruit???? Is Jack Fruit a vine or tree? A tree would have to be gigantic to hold such large fruit..I have to find a picture. lol. How many fruits normally grow per vine/tree? Heck, I can't fathom fruit that large growing on a branch.
    Then again, some pumpkins grow uncanny sizes..They've shown some on the news that weighed 1000lb+..one pumpkin makes quite a few pies, lol.

I don't know how we got on the subject of ferns, but John, there's hundreds of tropical ferns. Last year I bought two interesting ferns on Ebay..One is called Tiger, dark green and golden/green leaves, striped foliage, the second fern is called Golden. (A Boston Fern variety) Leaves are a golden/yellow/light green. Neither are hardy here, but I'd bet they grow beautiful in Fl. Tree ferns are my favorite, but they're impossible overwintering here.
    The two ferns did great all winter..I set them outside, in shade this summer and they DIED. The Golden has 1/2 remaining growth, looks terrible. Doubt it makes it..sigh

The only question you didn't answer was regarding Budha's Hand..What do you do with the fruit? Someone once recommended making candy..

Yep, sunlight opposed to grow-lights saves money..lol. Electric increased 24% last Jan, so using fewer lights make sense and economical. Which reminds me, it's about time to turn on artificial lighting soon. Monday was semi-sunny, but the past two weeks have been gloomy..dark blends into darker, so depressing.
    Outside trees started dormancy, leaves falling. Hardy trees.

Oh I have another question you may be able to answer. Or perhaps, I should start another thread. I'm reading a novel called K is for killer. The author, Sue Grafton mentions plants often throughout the series..Well, that's insigicant, but here's my question. The stories take place in a fictitious town in CA. Time of year is winter. The author writes, "A veritable orchard of citrus had been planted at the rear of the lot. At this season all brnches were bare, but come summer the dark green foliage would be lush and dense, etc."
    Are citrus not evergreen? Was this an error on Grafton's part? I know it's trivial, but little technicalities, such as bare citrus trees, bothers me..lol.
    I am curious either way..
    Well, off to look for jackfruit..lol...Thanks, Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    15 years ago

Hey........... Toni and everyone else, would you beleive after I hauled more than 1/2 my plants in, except for the heavier ones, and man I mean heavy, now it is suppose to be in the 70's again for a few days after our first frost lastnight..DARN IT. I wish my friends were around like they use to be to lift the heavy ones for me!!
    I wonder if I should take some of my citrus and haul them back out for a few more days!!!lol
    I started my grow lights to. I hate to turn them on. But if the sun goes behind a cloud for one sec, seems like night time in the plant room..:-(
    Oh ya, man do I wish I lived across the street instead of my side of the street. My neihbors get full sun all day against their house while in their front yard because theirs faces the south, while my front yard faces the north. So all my plants sit in the back, and the stupid nieghbors near me have trees that at this time of the year, because the sun drops lower in the sky, practically throw shade all day in my back yard now.... The sun just dropped below the tree tops starting 1 week ago. A true sign of fall, Wish those stupid leaves would fall off sooner so I can get alot more sun while it is still warm.. You should see me come home at lunch hour changing locations of my trees following the sun where ever it hits about noon!!!! It's a riot.
    If I could just sneak my trees across the street into my neihbors yard. In fact I just may ask them!! Who wouldn't want citrus trees in their yard if someone else takes care of them right!!!
    Yeah John, I meant no harm. I was teasing you. You live in a place I always wanted to live in..lol. Sounds like you have the best conditions to grow what ever you want and I am so jelous!
    In one month from now, we may be digging snow up off the grounds while the spidermites watch out the window laughing at me freeze to death. Wait maybe not this year, I will freeze them and whack them with good ole stinky garlic, suffocating dish soap, and sour lemone juice. Even this concoction would knock us out if we just breath it in!!
    Take care all

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lol, Mike, that's sooo funny about you shoveling snow, and the mites laughing at you..inside warm and cozy..lol

Mike, I know it's temping, but don't bother bringing plants back out..the reason is, you'll haul them out, then it'll rain, nights will turn cold, and you'll have to deal with a muddy, icy mess..I've done this before, never again.
    I finally cleaned out the back room, planned on toting plants inside today, well, it's pouring. Not showering, but pouring rain..I hope and pray it doesn't get cold tonight..hopefully, rain will stop..I wish we had one more warm week w/o rain...even if it was in the 90's, plants would come in..that'd be perfect..each plant is hosed before coming in, water is cold, unless hose is hooked in the basement. Using cold water on plants is bad enough, but worse if temps are under 50.
    So, don't trust the weather, Mike. Mother Nature is playing a game..lol..

Again, you're funny about your idiot neighbors and their trees..lol..
    Talk about idiots, our old neighbors planted a young tree, before moving..What the he** was the point? That little tree has grown tall and wide. It obstructs my southern windows. I hoped the tree would get struck my lightening, but unfortunately, never happened.
    This may sound harsh, but considering they moved 3 months later, a planned move, for the life of me, I had NO idea why anyone would plant a tree before moving. It's not like they're going to see the tree, especially since they've moved out of state. sheesh!!!
    So, I know what you mean about your neighbors trees.
    Are you seriously thinking of asking if you can keep your citrus across the street?
    Is there a spot in between your house and the neighbors, a gangway or entranceway, where your trees would get south sun? West light helps, since your front faces north, they should get west and east, right? I have the same problem, Mike..Most plants in the yard get north!! Some 'idiot' planted a maple tree out back, (detest that tree) that shades the yard from south. If I place them beyond the maple, they're shaded by neighbors' bushes..they don't bother trimming their darn bushes, so I end up doing it.
    Are you friends with ppl across the street? If so, maybe you should talk to them, ask if you can possibly add a 'few' plants on their property..lol.. Maybe if you offer a little money, like one would renting space, they'd agree..As long as you clean up any mess, (soil on windy days) felled leaves, etc, they might agree.
    But wouldn't you worry someone might walk off with a tree? That's my biggest fear when it comes to outdooring in summer. Especially my Gardenia tree and a mandarin someone gave me.

Mike, all ingredients in the home-made insecticide are natural, except for dish soap, and soap if fairly safe. My favorite dishsoap is by Ajax..they sell grapefruit and lemon scent. The smell just might help deter insects, too. Besides, Ajax is, I believe considered a generic brand, so it's probably watered down a lot. When I use it to wash dishes, etc, I have to double the amount to get a good amount of suds. Still, 2-4 drops in even a gallon of water bubbles up.
    I wanted to tell you, you can experiment with dossages. The only ingredients I measure is soap and SuperThrive. Garlic, Citrus rind/juice/and pepper are added w/o measuring..I take a sniff after ingredients are added..when smell is noticable, it's enough..lol. A little more or less isn't going to matter. Except for ST, but I don't know if you plan on using it. Everything else is safe.

Keep us posted if you're going to haul citrus outside again..Oh, what about your Gardenia?
    What are the temps up east? (the next 2 wks prediction) Leave gardenia out till temp is 40 or so. If you want it to bloom. One thing about gardenias and citrus, they bloom throughout the year.
    Same applies to Cyclamen, Azaleas, and Holiday Cactus..(Christmas/Thanksgiving Cactus.) Take care, Toni

• orchidguyftl
    15 years ago

Avacados are fruits and the fruits come in many sizes from the regular ones you see in your grocery stores to ones that are quite large
    they should produce if grown from seed though it will take quite some time and have to become a pretty big trees to produce.
    Jackfruit is a tree and yes it grows quite big. Each tree can produce quite a few fruit and fruit are produced usually close to the trunk on branches or on the trunk itself.
    Buddhas hand, hmmmm well the easiest thing to do is to pick it when ripe, and you can tell when its ripe cause it smells REALLY strongly of citrus, and place it on display in any room that you want to fragrance. The fruit, since there is no pulp, lasts anywhere from 20 - 35 days as long as the fruit arent damaged.
    I do also candy it, its very good.
    Most all of my plants are outdoors, just a few orchid flasks inside.
    And back to the original thead, my variegated lemons are almost ripe
    cant wait
    John

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi John,
    Lucky you living in a beautiful, humid, sunny climate. I'm not being sarcastic, John..feel blessed.
    Our weather is already upsetting me, and it's only Oct!

I researched Jackfruit on Wikipedia, and you're 100% correct, its fruit grows up to 80 lbs..Wiki has pics, too. There's a photo of a man standing under one Jackfruit; the fruit makes him look small. lol.
    I wish someone had a pic of an entire tree bearing fruit.

John, the problem with growing avocados is space. lol. My name is Toni and I'm a plant-a-holic..lol. I have between 300-400 plants now, so what do I do, order 2 more on Ebay..lol.
    One Ebay seller has an 18" Euphoriba/Thai Crown of Thorns, with bi-colored flowers..it's so tempting..lol.
    Plus two other gorgeous plants..One is a variegated Peace Lily..not the common Domino, nope, this is truly varigated. I bid 20.00 and was outbid 15 mins later, plus it has 2-3 days left..Forget it, but would I love winning that beauty.
    Anyway, the Avo's are in south windows. Two have recently sprouted, the largest is about 9" tall. All 3 were started in late summer.
    Because the third was a differnt/larger species, do you think foliage will differ?

I have very few orchids..a den bought at Home Depot for 1.00, variegated vanilla, green vanilla (both cuttings) and Ludisa.

What color are the fruit on your variegated lemons? How long did they take to mature? It'll be a miracle if mine mature, but this is the first time they set fruit, so we'll see.
    Are your trees in the ground or containers? Oh how I wish citrus were hardy here..lol. We'll see if the rootstock makes it. Soon it'll need mulching. I should have planted it out front..there's an electrical outlet which means Christmas lights set on tree and soil.
    Next spring, I'm planting a Windmill palm in the ground. Maybe that'll go in front. There's a perfect spot, nearest the outlet..Barberry grew there about 15 yrs, but in spring decided it wasn't my favorite not to mention, the vines tried taking over the entire growing area, so it's now gone. I considered planting a perrenial but it was too late in the year so it's vacant.
    Have you ever visited the Palm forum? There are people in Chicago and Canada who have huge palms, grown in-ground. It's amazing. They use mulch and lights for protection.
    One palm stood at lest 5' tall, w/a big trunk. Maybe, w/this crazy atmosphere, el nino, etc, our temps will be Fl-like, and Fl will be Il-like..wanna trade? lol Toni

• orchidguyftl
    15 years ago

The fruit on my variegated lemons is variegated - green with white and yellow
    When it matures the whole fruit turns yellow

Some of my limes, persian, are starting to ripen. They start flushing yellow, if they ripen like that on the tree they are much less sour/tart
    Kind of sweet, like key limes, I like cutting them up and eating the wedges like oranges, very good, bit of tartness but extremely juicy.

Just got some fresh cashew apple juice, never had it before, WOW, is this stuff good, one of our neighbors grows them. was thinking of growing a tree myself as i like cashews, but since it is in the poison ivy family and i'm allergic to poison ivy, dont know if i'll try it
    lol
    Another reason I like living down here is, no poison ivy or poison sumac, lol

Glad you found the information on Jackfruit, they are interesting trees. Variegated spath, i have one of those, its out under one of the tree ferns next to one of my ponds. they are really neat.

• meyermike_1micha
    15 years ago

Hey....Toni.
    My gardenias are still outside. Them and a couple of citrus. I can handle bringing them into my porch at night like lastnight, then put them out once the sun comes up since it is suppose to be very mild the next few days right into next week. They are talking 70's even with showers tommorrow. Weird.
    Once the sun comes up it gets warm fast. I like to see the morning warm sun hit my trees. They must love it. And yes, my gardenia is still flowering even with the colder nights.
    I made a booboo last night though. I forgot to bring one plant in lastnight. I didn't think we were going to get a frost since it was so mild yesterday. Sometimes a frost can catch you off guard. It was a light one though. It was one of my gardenias...Thank god the leaves only had water dew on them at 4am although the hood of my car had some frost. I hope my plant will be ok. It is in full sun right now.
    It is amazing how warm it is suppose to be now till next week...Above average temps!! Loving it!!
    Never occured to me someone could walk off with my plants. Now I will have to think twice!!lol
    Man even if I lived on open space, I would be so so happy.
    If anyone here is rich enough, I wouldn't mind a little 8x10 greenhouse bought for me out of yout thoughtfulness!!lol That would make me happier than you know....
    Take care everyone, and toni, I have yet to use your spray!!!
    Starting next week, every two weeks,I will be spraying the leaves on every plant whether I see insects or not. No spidertmite will be laughing at me this winter!!!