SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dazed_dnc_gw

One tree never stops blooming, the other hasn't started

Dazed_dnc
11 years ago

I have questions regarding my potted dwarf Washington navals.

What, if anything, should I be doing about all the blossoms? The fruit is only growing to about the size of a quarter. However, this is the first year that it has produced fruit. Is it normal for the first batch to be so small? I'm concerned that the tree is investing all of its effort into blooming instead of fruiting.

It has blossomed year round and at times they are so dense that I could spend an entire day trying to pinch them off. They literally cover entire branches. Some of which are new growth that I need to keep so that the tree will fill out evenly.

The second question I have is whether or not my fertilizing regiment may be a contributing factor. Every couple of weeks I sprinkle on some epsom salt or miracle grow in an alternating pattern. I have been doing this regardless of blooming. Do I need to stop then? Will applying more encourage increased fruit development?

The other thing that makes me curious about this situation is that, as I said, I have two of these trees. They were bought at the same time, potted in the same mix, and receive the same fertilizing treatment yet one never stops blooming and the other has yet to start.

I'm assuming they are actually different ages and only looked equally mature due to the greenhouse trimming them back. Is there a good way to determine possible age difference? For instance, could I measure the trunk diameter and maybe estimate the age, give or take a year?

Comments (4)