SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cytokinin

Is it okay to repot an indoor lemon tree right now?

9 years ago

Howdy y'all! I've got a young lemon tree (little over one year old) that was repotted into gritty mix at the end of April this year. The repot must've been rather traumatic because the tree didn't grow much throughout the summer.To ease some worries - I believe I practiced good/cautious post-transplant care; I kept the tree covered by a clear, plastic bag over the tree for at least two weeks after the repot and it was out of direct lighting for at least a week. Since I did not record my exact procedure, it is difficult to recollect exact details, but the point is that I was not completely ignorant of the stress that this repot could and did have on the tree.
In August - particularly mid to late August- the tree sprung back with some decently vigorous growth. Now, a month later, the tree must be using more water than the mix can support because the leaves are drying out (see attached photo). I water this tree very thoroughly each day. As I am not really in a position to water it more that once a day (at this point in my life I have *very* little 'free time' as it is, and I generally only spend a few of my waking hours at home) I am wondering what some opinions are on potting-up this tree. If the mix were more organic, I assume this wouldn't be a big deal because most of the media around the roots would remain intact. Since the tree is in the gritty mix, however, I would imagine that potting-up is essentially the equivalent of a bare root repotting [I can't speak from experience because I am still new to this media].

I am hesitant because the tree was relatively dormant for a considerable amount of time after its repot into the gritty mix. I am also a bit concerned because, as far as I'm aware, it is ideal to repot citrus in the spring or early summer. ("Winter is coming!") Please note that this tree is indoors and under a 6bulb x 4ft T5 fluorescent fixture.

Do you think that it would be fine to repot the tree? Or do I need to make the 'sacrifice' of watering more than once a day?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH