SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deebs43

If a conifer falls in Michigan...

deebs43
16 years ago

...what should replace it?

With all the snow we've gotten past winter (105 inches and counting), I'm afraid our cedar privacy hedge is no longer so private. Nearly one-third of them have either fallen or are doing the slow march to the ground.

These two fell right after Christmas. We had to chop at them in the snow because they landed on those two little Norway spruce; one of the spruce still has a bit of a lean at the top, but it's straightening out nicely. Notice that another cedar to the right is ready to drop.

[Pics are clickable.]

{{gwi:671906}}

This is farther down the row. They look like dominoes, don't they?

{{gwi:671907}}

Look in the lower left corner of that last middle. See the surface tunnels? Below is a close-up. This is what greeted me as the snow melted...little monsters...

{{gwi:671908}}

I'd like to do a mixed hedge, perhaps some blue spruce mixed with Green Giant thuja, and maybe a little red-twig dogwood for color. Then again...I saw some Pfitzer juniper at the arboretum in Ann Arbor last week that had filled in nicely...

I just don't want anything else that will fall over so easily.

The hedge runs ~75 feet, ESE to WNW, so both sides get a bit of direct sun, depending on time of day. It's right on the property line, which is lower than the rest of the yard, and therefore a bit wet. It drains, but I've seen standing water after big rains (and big snow melts). Very rich, organic soil. Lots of worms. And moles.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone