SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amidheliot

Ideas and Suggestions for New Bed!

amidheliot
14 years ago

Any suggestions of plantings would be appreciated!

What I have here is my fall project...It is still slightly unfinished as far as construction goes. Because of some unforeseen complications at work, I was a bit stressed last fall and had absolutely no time to finish the project (Unless I wanted to work using Headlights in the middle of the night). I just need to finish the wall and plant it up. Here are some pics taken in late September...Give me your thoughts.

Front view-

{{gwi:665324}}

Across the front right I have Japanese forest grass 'Aureola', Cham. obtusa 'Bess' or 'Densa' with the other on the opposite side. Sold to me as Cham. obtusa 'Fatiagate' though Coniferjoy says that it is not a valid name in the corner and Tsuga canadensis 'Bennett's Weeping'.

On the second level on the front I have a weeping Acer dissectum 'Forget the name' 'Butterfly' maybe??? and Jap. grass 'Beni Kazi'. And then the work came to a halting screech!

Front and center--from right to left. Pinus strobus 'Coney Island' and Juniperus horizontalis 'Mother Lode' with a volunteer Red Bud to the left I worked around b/c I couldn't tear it out...YET...

The stacked flagstone stops at the left edge of pic and the bed slopes down and around to the left...very little progress oer there yet...One plant, Abies nordmandia 'Golden Spreader' front and center. The stacked fieldstone wall which is the back retaining wall starts at the above left pof pic and needs to be finished yet.

Working around the back side I have Cham. obtusa 'Densa' or 'Bess' Juniperus x media 'Daub's Frosted' that has been staked upright (Pretty Cool)

'Daub's Frosted'

{{gwi:665326}}Back view-

{{gwi:665328}}

Picea pungens 'Procumbens' on top of the falls, (2) Thuja occ. 'Threadleaf', one on each side of the rock. A Cham. pisifera filifera 'Aurea' but is any color but yellow! I think it bit the dust though, so I don't need to worry about it...same with the Cham. lawsonia 'Treature Island'

I will continue the stacked fieldstone wall around towards the front...but not sure of exact layout yet...Thinking of working it north, away from the flagstone wall on the front and sloping it down and away...I'll have a better idea once the snow melts.

Another front view taken in early December-

{{gwi:665330}}

The front work around at ground level to the left...but only has one plant in it yet...and no pics.

Another back view, slightly different taken in early December-

{{gwi:665332}}

I would go take some more pics, but it is still under at least 2 feet of snow!

One plant that I plan to put in there is a Pinus strobus 'Stoney Brook' about midway along the back slope and let it come down and cascade down...

Let me know your thoughts and ideas! After this loooooong winter and everything else thats been going on over the last 6 months I'm a bit brain dead and need a jump start!

Thanks!

Eliot

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!