SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

suggestions for anchor hostas in new bed - the big 3

I am starting a new bed this year and it is a corner bed with northern exposure. I made a very quick sketch to help everyone out with orientation, etc. Note that the privacy fence is 6-feet tall. Here's what I want to do: I want to put three very large hostas in the back corner and build out from there. The back corner, in my mind, is the corner where the brick house meets the privacy fence, fyi. I want them to be solids (I think) and would love some ideas on who to group together for this look. The taller, the better, I'm thinking vase-shaped instead of sprawlers. Three different colors, one green, one blue, one yellow, the yellow in the middle, of course.

Now, if you have ideas different than mine, you can certainly make an argument for which you would choose and why and I can be swayed. This is just my initial idea, but all of my ideas, until implemented, continue to evolve, depending on info I find during research, differing opinions, etc. I am excited about this bed (as I am all new hosta beds!) and really want it to make a statement. Thanks in advance for the help!

So, a reminder of the parameters (so far):

1) 3 solid hostas
2) very large
3) one blue, one yellow, one green
4) upright, vase shaped (at the very least, the yellow)
5) yellow in the middle of the trio

Edited this post to better clarify the picture for future helpers :)

This post was edited by funnthsun on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 14:49

Comments (23)