SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ricksample

When to do root surgery?

ricksample
10 years ago

I normally have everything in the ground the first week of March while they are still dormant. I was looking at photos today of me planting even a few things at the end of February lol.

I have these 40 conifers... about 10 have started to push... the other 30 are still dormant. I don't think I'll be able to plant anything before the end of April. Right now we're still under snow and when that melts... it'll take at least 1-2 weeks of 60+ degree rain free days to allow everything to dry up and let the ground become workable. Right now the next 10 days is just rain and mid 40's.

It looks like most of them aren't root bound... but I do have several (probably 10-15) that look very root bound. Some have started to push while others haven't.

Should I do root surgery at planting time when none are dormant or do I go ahead and do the surgery now and put them back in pots?

Sometimes I'm able to just untangle as much as possible and other times I must cut a couple times vertically. I'm not sure how much conifers can handle and I figured I would ask from the people that have more experience.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting