SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfox248

Lemons - more risilient than one might think.

cfox248
9 years ago

Sorry, this might seem like a pointless thread- but I'm just so damn pleased about my lemon tree and nobody around me really gives much of a hoot! I keep going out and looking at it, it's so dang healthy now... Almost forgot what that looked like!

So my lemon tree has had a lot of ups and downs since about March. I am not sure how many of you here remember all of my threads - the one where it lost half its leaves because it didn't have light, the next one where it dropped ALL of its leaves after I scorched it in the sun, the one where I discovered the miracle gro I was using was not the best thing to use (and it was like cement slurry in the pot) and found scale all over the tree. The one where I finally had some leafs growing from the top of the plant after half the branches died. It's been a lot of ups and downs. I thought when I put it outside it would bounce back, even though most of the branches had died.

Nope! Whitefly attacked it, and the leaves remained a sickly pale green splotchy color. I sprayed diligently with incecticidal soap which seemed to take its toll on the few leaves it had. The whitefly did not go away.

Around this time I started having my recent problems with my orange tree (Which is doing better than ever now, thanks to you all!). My lemon tree took 3 steps back... The whole trunk and all branches attached to it died, leaving a few measly, sad looking ones on the bottom. I finally said you know what, I am done, if you want to get eaten by whiteflies be my guest because my orange tree has the better chance of pulling through at this point. I was so exasperated that I stopped all attention to it save for watering.

....and wouldn't you know it, my lemon tree looks SO fantastic right now. The leaves are a gorgeous rich green color, and are nice and thick. New growth EVERYWHERE. And it seems to be putting a hell of an effort into growing a branch to replace the trunk. So not only did it almost die in March and pull through, it DID die again, three weeks ago, and if anything it's doing better than it ever has. A few green aphids on the trees, but those are easily smushed and deterred with a hose

Just goes to show you, don't give up on your trees! If you give them what they want and need they will fight tooth and nail to grow, even if it seems a hopeless case. I am so glad my lemon tree is back to health after all I did for it. Come Autumn after this major leaf flush I will repot in the pine nugget mix my Moro is in and bring it inside and hope it makes it through better than it did last year!

Here are pictures of the whole process!

After I nearly killed it:
{{gwi:613455}}

I don't have many in between pictures - many of the branches died while a few stayed and leafed out. Those slowly grew yellow with the whiteflies, and then the whole trunk went. Here's a current picture of the tree (shrub?) and what the "trunk" system looks like now. I was worried about the branches being so close to the soil line that they would be suckers, but as far as I know they are not and the graft is below the soil line.

{{gwi:613459}}

{{gwi:613463}}

Comments (6)