SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ricksample

My Small Rant

12 years ago

I started adding mulch beds and conifers about a year ago. As of last fall I had about 100 in the ground. This year and each year after I'll probably add around 20-30 until I'm out of room. Right now I'm doing about 2 acres, once this is filled up I have another 1.5 acres that I can start on.

My rant... my parents or no one in my family likes what I am doing, except the wife because she doesn't care either way. Last year when they saw all the beds and conifers after my mass planting spree they were concerned that they were all going to run into each other and they were all planted to close. They also said it looked to cluttered.

This year I am blocking off the left side of my house with a bed then a small 4' wide path that will allow you to walk from the front yard to the back. This is only a 30x20 section. Now I still have access to my back yard via a 20' section on the right side of my yard. I'm also creating two huge beds in the front left portion of my yard. Today my parents called to complain about how I'm limiting getting a vehicle to the back of my yard and to complain about all the other beds I have going in.

Not only my parents, I had the appraiser come out today because of my refinance and he commented on how all those beds are going to be a lot of upkeep. He had to take pictures of the house and everything for review... he took 80% of the pictures outside of the landscape. Who knows if this will hurt the value of my house or not. Then my neighbors keep staring over at what I'm doing wondering what the heck. Yesterday they were at the property line looking over. Who knows if they like it or not. Most likely they don't, since they are mowing 2 acres of dark green grass.

I'll admit, it doesn't look like much right now. Most of my conifers are 12" tall. I have 2 beds that are mulched, I have 9 beds that have conifers, dead grass, wet dirt, holes, rocks, things tossed around, etc. Now I find myself second guessing myself on how everything will look when it grows. Have anyone of you went through any of this when you first started? It sure does seem like with each conifer I plant I get more and more criticism. Ok that�s all for my long rant =)

Comments (22)