SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Small rant-the hospital fun just never ends

rob333 (zone 7b)
16 years ago

They decided not to give my mom her asthma medications, with the exception of an inhaler, since last Sunday night. She called me today to say, "Can you come here? (I'm at work and everyone knows I CAN NOT leave ever, so I know its serious). I can't breathe. They went to get a flashlight (yes, they really got a flash light), but they can't see anything. They're not listening to me." Her gasping for air makes it hard to hear and incredibly obvious she's having an attack. I tell her I'll call her back in a minute.

I pick up the other phone and call the switchboard of her hospital. "I need you to beep Dr. Law, RIGHT NOW!". "Who is this?" "Robin, my mom is in your hospital and can't breathe. No one is helping her." "Hang on" "Hello?" "Yes, who am I talking to (it's a female, not Melvin)" "This is Sharon and I'm the charge nurse" "My mom can't breathe and no one is listening" "What room is she in? Who is she?" "--, Room ----". "I'm on my way right now". I call mom and tell her I'm on my way, a charge nurse is headed her way and if she doesn't get what she needs to call me back immediately. I storm out, thunder, lightening, fire, you name it, a storm.

When I get there I send the orderly (or whatever they're called now) out to get the charge nurse. An LPN comes in to see what's going on. I tell her my mom is having an asthmatic attack and can't breathe. Mom is gasping for air and hanging onto to things to keep from falling out of her chair. The LPN asks me why I think she's having an attack. Duh? She's gasping for air, sounds horrible and she's an asthmatic who hasn't had her meds for three days now. Duh! The dip leans over and commands her to "take slower deeper breaths". I'm livid at this point. "She can't breathe, she's having an attack! Get a breathing treatment RIGHT NOW!" She and the respiratory person try to convince me and her both that she doesn't need a treatment or her meds. Finally, I take them out in the hall and explain, "What you're saying would be similar to telling a diabetic they don't need to take their insulin, just eat a candy bar whenever you feel badly, and if you can, just exercise to try to keep down the sugar a bit".

She's had her treatment and can breathe. Wonder upon wonders, dripping sarcasm, a non-MD could get it right. And I made sure she had her meds before I left. Mommy was happy and thanked me.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
More Discussions