SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pamchesbay

Amending Soil: Yes? No? It Depends?

Pamchesbay
17 years ago

A discussion about amending soil came up in the Tolleson's Weeping Juniper thread. I've heard conflicting advice on this subject for years so I'm probably not the only person who has questions about whether / when / how to amend soil.

There seem to be two schools of thought on this question. One school recommends not amending soil at all because doing so makes it less likely that roots will reach out into surrounding (unamended soil), which can lead to the eventual death of the plant.

The other school recommends adding organic material and specific fertilizers / amendments, depending on soil conditions, etc.

I live on the Chesapeake Bay in Tidewater VA. The soil around my house is mostly sand. It drains fast and is very lean, except for Lumbee muck in a low, wet area (sometimes, I use that as a supplement in garden beds). I have not lost any trees, although I amend lightly (adding organic material to improve water retention and Osmocote to get things off to a good start).

Regarding the "no amendments" school of thought: Are there any exceptions to this rule? (I question all "one size fits all rules" but that is due to life experiences, not experience in this specific area.)

I appreciate your thoughts on this subject. My practices may be out of date but my trees and shrubs are healthy.

Comments (29)