SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

No matter how you look at it, it's impossible!

meyermike_1micha
9 years ago

Impossible, or at least almost impossible to keep our trees looking as good and fruit laden as our friends in much warmer climates....

So, stop trying to make them look like our good friends that grow them where these trees belong.
They belong south of me for sure in places like Florida, California, Texas, Guatemala and other states that get at least heat and lots of sun, something lacking here no matter how you cut it.. Hello all you southern folks!

But take heart us northern folks, you can keep them healthy and thriving if you apply principles that defy all odds...
There are many here such as Brian, TMC and others that grow them very well in pots despite location and I am proud of them.

If I personally get at least 4 days of 90 per summer, I am lucky.
If I get any heat that lasts more than a month I am lucky.
If I get strong sunshine more than three months a year, I am lucky.
If I get more than three months in which I can leave my trees outside, I am lucky.

If I can keep my tree green, healthy, fruiting, flowering, full and growing, I am real lucky!

How do you feel about your location and your attempts to grow your citrus trees?

Some principles to defy odds.I use a great soilless mix, fertilize, give as much sunlight as possible, and keep them all on the shorter side..What do you do to be successful?

As for my Desert Roses and Plumeria, all in the trash..Now they are impossible..lol

Mike

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 9:35

Comments (14)