SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kara21202

Shower Niche -- "It doesn't matter when it was installed" --Waterprfg?

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I posted something including this on the renovation forum -- sorry if anyone sees it twice.

The GC forgot to add the shower niche (we exchanged 10+ emails re specifics of this niche and the shower bench, which has still not been installed)). When I saw the tile installed and no niche, I asked, "Shouldn't it have been built in?" He said, "It doesn't matter when the niche is added". He stood to that while I kept objecting.

Weeks later he said, "Yes, it would have been slightly better to have installed it earlier. But it doesn't matter."

I loathe the thought of more construction, but it needs to be redone to ensure maximum waterproofing, right? This is also a pre-war building with 4-5

water damages a month.

Thank you!!!!

Comments (8)

• PRO
    5 years ago
    Your contractor is an idiot. You must waterproof all elements at once. Start over with someone who know how to do this. So sorry.
    K S thanked Flo Mangan
  • 5 years ago

Sorry -- the "before" pic didn't get posted. Here is the tile and plumbing all finished and tape marking where the niche would later be added. The rain shower head is directly above the niche, potentially making this late installation worse.

Should this wall be rebuilt? Just the wall with the niche? And probably the floor? He also forgot to install a shower bench on the mosaic wall to the left.

GC owes us more cabinetry, backsplash repair, and several appliance repairs. He wants final AIA 7 payment before fixing/ delivering these! He has stopped responding now. Thx!

• 5 years ago
    Do not pay him until all work is done to your satisfaction!

Of course he “wants” your money. That is so he can disappear, fully paid, and leave you with what he has done. He made the shower that he wanted to build, and does not care what you specified. He is done with you and your (in his eyes) “picky” bathroom choices!

What does your written contract with this guy say?
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The niche as well as the bench are constructed at the same time and are waterproofed integrally. I just finished a remodel which included a shower with niche and bench.

The bench was waterproofed as part of the construction of the shower pan. I'm in SoCal but that is NOT hot mop. I live in a high rise and although it looks like hot mop it's actually cold substance which is more flexible than hot mop. Per Code, hot mop is not allowed in high rise buildings.

The niche was waterproofed along with the walls - this is a picture with the first layer of Red Guard. A second layer was applied after this picture.

Bench is to the left and was waterproofed with the floor of shower

This is shower niche with first layer of Red Guard.

• 5 years ago

How did they install the niche after?

• 5 years ago

The niche was custom-fabricated and installed into the tile with silicone around it. The niche is right under the rain shower, and this is in a 100-year old building that gets several leaks a month.

If the GC were to redo it, does just the wall with the niche need to be redone or the surrounding walls also? He also forgot to install a linear infinity drain.... and the floating (installed) shower bench.

• 5 years ago
    Goodness gracious, how does one forget to install the linear drain, the shower bench, and the niche.....that’s just crazy.