SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandysseeds007

Newbies...5 mistakes not to make growing cuttings

sandysseeds007
16 years ago

Just so newbies know and can learn from my mistakes or accept what would have to be should you lack or have need of a certain desirable outcome.

My charles grimali had 3 branches allowed to grow and 2 branches grew a good 9'+ the other 1' less or so. I'm figuring that it would of Y'd quicker if I had left only 2.

3 branches were allowed to grow on my yellow and frosty pink and 2 on the double orange.

4 mistakes I made with these last 3 which were potted in the fall the prior year. All of the following mistakes were done to contain size. Not that they didn't grow well their first year but I'm positively sure that avoiding doing even 1 of these would of helped them immensely.

1) I pruned unwanted branches but if I had left them on the plant would of had to focus on more branches and not just 2-3. It would of grown slower, but it takes up room to leave them all (width wise) and not knowing how big they'd grow with just 2 or 3...well...off went the others.

2) I pinched back the ones I wanted to grow a month before spring. Now most of you wouldn't even think to have to do this but this woman had to keep them contained in a small short space (under a shelf set with a curly light bulb.) They grew like weeds there, with huge leaves.

3) I pruned the roots at the same time hoping to get the branching better, my double orange paid dearly for this, not growing more than 3' the whole summer. It was the fastest grower of the 3 in the 2ltr bottles I use over the winter. It staying in a pot for the rest of it's life because I don't think it liked the transfer to the ground either. And it took to repotting as though I hadn't done anything to it. It didn't Y in it's first year.

4) I did not pot up from the 2 ltr bottles for lack of room/light. I also had 3 seedling flats going at the time, so I was pressured into all the above...lol

The real threat of overwatering is something to keep conscious of, especially as they need moist soil. I don't think I made this mistake but you never know, could of had some root die back and just didn't know. I give my bottles/pots a good flush every 10 days or so, and in between only water enough for the top 1-2" every 2 or 3 days. The leaves are small and can't droop/wilt so easily to tell you that it needs water as they do when they're big enough.

Other advice is greatly appreciated please put your 2cents in. I'm open to contrary personal experiences. -Sandy

Comments (7)