SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babyjanepa

Did I make a big mistake?

babyjanepa
17 years ago

OK, first I need to say that I'm a very new gardener and homeowner, so any and all advice is appreciated.

To make a long story short, last year my husband and I inherited a great hot tub, which has turned into both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because it's relaxing, and a curse because shortly afterwards our neighbors built a deck on the side of their house that enables them to look out over our yard (and our hot tub).

Anyway, my husband and I were looking for a fast growing solution to provide some high screening. And, the college where he works had recently acquired a property with a large bamboo forest. So, we drover over there last summer and dug up some bamboo (smaller stalks) and planted it. No idea what kind, but I can tell you that the mature stalks were over 20 feet tall, which is why we were attracted to it.

After doing some reading on these forums, I know it's running bamboo, so I'm cutting back the runners religiously.

Is there anything else I need to do (generally) to ensure it's health and growth? (Especially since I have no idea what kind it is?) It looks a little yellow this spring, but I think it's begun to grow. Are there any websites with good photos that might help me identify it?

Thank you all so much for all of the great resources here!

Comment (1)

Sponsored