SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bart_2010

Need advice! disease on Italian cypress "Totem"

bart_2010
10 years ago

Hi, everybody. I'm new to tree gardening-and related forums! So I need some help as to how to approach a problem I'm having with one of my "Totem" cypresses. I got 6 of them in the autumn of 2012. By spring of 2013, I could see that one of them had a patch of brown,dead stuff on it; I cut it out and sprayed it with Bordeaux mixture. Over the following summer the tree seemed to be doing better, though it's smaller than it's fellows. Now, just yesterday whilst fertilizing, I saw that, yet again, this tree is showing a patch of dead, brown/grey; not, perhaps, as large as the sick area in it's first year, but it's there. I already have sprayed it with copper...OK, so, here's my question. I know that cypresses can be subject to canker, though this being a newer cultivar, I'm a bit disappointed that it would get this disease.1) Is there any hope of saving the tree; i.e., if I keep on spraying it ,is there any hope of the problem disappearing in time? 2) Is it's presence in the garden a risk for my other cypresses; i.e.,should I just get rid of it? 3)Would it make any sense to try to dig this tree up and move it to a better spot? because I think that the three cypress trees planted in this particular area of the garden are all growing more slowly than the other three which are planted on higher, more open, sunny ground;though only this one shows disease,I'm thinking that it might not be the best spot in the world for cypress.The tree is only starting it's second year in my garden,so it isn't too established yet...Thanks in advance for any thought, advice, etc. bart

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County