SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigmario_gw

still frustrated

bigmario
13 years ago

I potted 3 sick trees in a 511 mix the week of July 4th and they have not shown any signs of improvement. I may have used too big of pots and or the trees are too far gone. I have 2 new trees in #5 pots that I want to repot. Not sure if waiting until next spring is the right thing to do but either way I am confused. I have taken in all the info here and think the gritty mix may be the way to go because it lasts longer and can be reused I think. But I read this on fourwinds web site:

How to Plant in Containers

We recommend using commercially available potting mixes. Some experts make their own mixes using wood shavings, sand, and compost. Using dirt in a container is not advisable. Rose formulations can work, but the perfect high air filled porosity mix can be hard to find. If you can not find a mix without sphagnum peat moss, amend the soil mix with a 1/4- 1/3 volume of 1" redwood shavings. Our 2-3 year trees are shipped with shavings suitable for potting mix amendments. Cedar shavings can be used as well, but avoid pine and spruce. Once your soil mix is prepared, the container is selected and the tree's eventual location is known you are ready to begin potting.

Place one inch of soil in the bottom of your new container. Gently remove the roots and soil from the old container. Try to keep the root ball intact. Place the root ball in the new container and fill with your fresh potting mix. The top of the roots should be just barely beneath the top of the soil level. Loosely tie tree to a stake if needed. Press the soil around the root ball to provide stability and water deeply. Loosely tie tree to a stake. Repotting with fresh soil mix every year or two will provide fresh nutrients to the soil.

they have more info there too like fertalizing with miracid and keeping trees on dryer side of moist and not to let dry out all the way.

very confusing

Comments (34)