SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maryeirvine

Help with front yard antique roses in Oakland, CA

mary (9b Bay Area CA)
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm so inspired by the the beautiful gardens posted on these forums, but mine sure has a Iong way to go. I just started with roses this time last year- steered towards antique roses by a poster here named Jackie, and so began the hobby/passion/obsession. I took out the front lawn last fall because of the drought and also because I wanted to get plants established during el nino. I got great recommendations here for teas, polyanthas, hybrid musks for my area- most all are happy and healthy at this early stage. My backyard is working out well- I have a good design and just needed to remove a few shrubs to make way for roses. Some of these roses are slow growing, but overall the garden looks good and I'm patient. But my front yard ain't pretty- 850 square feet of mulch and scraggly filler plants and itty bitty rosebushes. Have any of you been through this phase with your rose gardens? Starting with a blank canvas is daunting. I know it's a first world problem, but still frustrating! Part of the problem, I think, is that I rushed into this without a good plan... just an inspiration of what some of these roses might look like 5-10 years down the road. I know I need some good bones/structure while the roses grow. Adding some hardscaping might help. My main priority is privacy- the front yard is on a busy street and not a peaceful place to be. I thought of putting up a fence, but Oakland has a height restriction of 42" for front yard fences. I'm thinking of some kind of privacy screen with roses and/or another shrub. I see that done here a lot. The yard is 32 feet wide and 27 feet deep. I added some plantings when we first moved in, but most of those (lavatera, cistus, butterfly bush) need to go. There are some nice big camellia trees, a crepe myrtle and a purple princess tree towards the front of the house.

This is what it looked like five years ago:

Currently I have Monsieur Tillier, Marie Van Houtte, Madame Berkeley, Robin Hood, Carefree Delight and some icebergs in the front. Also a smoke tree and some ceanothus for ground cover. I have Mutabilis, Cornelia, Felicia, La Marne, Sally Holmes in the backyard which could be moved out front (though all are happy where they are, so I'm hesitant) I have old stepping stones for the front pathway which I plan to move and replace with brick and/or decomposed granite. The house might be painted white in the next year or two if that makes any difference. I could post a current photo, but it honestly looks so bad that I'm embarrassed! My ideal would be something elegant and simple. I gravitate towards the english/cottage garden style, but this needs to be more restrained, I think. Thanks to these forums, I have a decent sense of which roses grow well in my area (thank you, Luxrosa for your extensive lists for the sf bay area!) But I'm not super clear on growth habits- especially related to climbing roses. Should I look into really big roses like LaMarque or Crepuscule for a privacy hedge? Do I need to provide a fence structure for these? Will any grow well as freestanding shrubs? Or should I just bite the bullet and wait while the big tea roses grow in? I'm on somewhat of a budget but considering the help of a landscape designer. This is starting to feel beyond my scope.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated! Thanks for listening to my rant.

Mary

Comments (24)

• jacqueline9CA
    7 years ago

Mary, what I would do is put up a fence to protect your front yard, leaving at least 2-3 feet of dirt on the outside of the fence. Then I would plant roses along the fence. If you use climbing roses, they can be trained sort of horizontally along the fence, and your "fence" will soon be way taller than 42 inches! Or, if you would rather, you could put the fence on the lot line, and plant the roses behind it. Is there sidewalk beyond your lot line? If there is, putting the roses behind the fence might be better (less worry about the roses trying to eat the passers-by).

I would not dig up any of the roses in the back yard if they are happy. Once you get the fence up in the front, I'll bet you will feel way happier about your privacy, even with a short fence.

Then, after we see PICTURES of your front yard and the fence, we can advise you on what roses to grow on it. You might want all of one kind, which in the case of large climbers might only mean 2-3 plants, depending on the length of your fence. Or, you might want a hedge of lower growing roses.

Re your current front garden rose plantings, what roses do you have planted there now? Can't advise on growth habits without knowing which roses you already have planted. Please DO post a picture - many many people have done that on here to get help. Hard to help when we cannot see what you are talking about.

We have all, I am sure, planted new beds at one time or another and then been unhappy with how they look with the itty-bitty roses. I have, I know. That phase is short.

Jackie

mary (9b Bay Area CA) thanked jacqueline9CA
  • catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    7 years ago

'Crepuscule' made a nice free-standing bush here, approx. 6'h x 8'w at 7 years in the ground, at which time I sadly lost it to oak root fungus. From what I have seen, I think 'Crepuscule' would be more manageable for that purpose than 'Lamarque', which I know is a real house-eater in Oakland (just go look at the one in Morcom Park, on the huge trellis halfway up the hill -- they've had to do major pruning just to keep it on that support). Livermore is much warmer than Oakland, though, and I'm not sure how that might affect 'Crepuscule'.

mary (9b Bay Area CA) thanked catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
  • Related Discussions

My Antiques, Austins and Some Yard Shots (very long)

Q

Comments (30)
    Masha, I just saw the heading of your post saying "long" and my heart started beating excitedly. I quickly grabbed a warm cup of coffee (its freezing cold and foggy here in Melbourne)and decided to settle down to enjoy the show. It was as breathtaking as ever. I absolutely love the combination of Sharifa and Ebb and am planning to do it myself. Your WS2K is so beautiful, I wish mine would grow like that. Do you prune it hard every winter? I have pruned mine the last two years, but I wonder if I should leave it as it is this year? Its hardly grown more than a foot and a half. Your Cecile Brunner is magnificent and I love Roseraie de L'Hay is beautiful and I was especially excited to see Christopher Marlowe since I have ordered it too this year. I am not fond of cream roses, but loved Gruss! All the others look wonderful too. You have a lovely garden and thanks for posting the pictures. Sanju
    ...See More

Morcam Rose Garden, Oakland CA. Many photos.

Q

Comments (11)
    Morcom is the only place I've noticed something Kim Rupert has mentioned: grafted tree roses that are truly trees. I forget what the root stock is, but the scion (Renae, I think?) is grafted atop a trunk that is maybe 9' tall and cascades down like a fountain. There is a row of them along the southern walk leading into the flat garden. One has died this year, I see, and another is new (so someone still produces these?), and the rest looked fine when I saw them, though not in bloom. Debbie
    ...See More

Help me choose right pink rose for my front yard.

Q

Comments (11)
    I have several of these roses. First, Pear d'Or is more of an apricot/pink, probably more apricot than pink. It, so far for me, has been a nice rose and just borderline for a pot. Bonica is gorgeous, full, constantly blooming, wonderful pink color but in my garden way to large for a pot. Bonica I also like Sharifa Asma and so far is just borderline size for a nice sized pot. I'm afraid that this rose too, might get to large (at least in my garden). This rose is gorgeous and extremely fragrant though. Mine's still young, only a year old. So, for my suggestions, at least of the ones mentioned that I grow, I have to also suggest Our Lady of Guadalupe. This one stays nice and compact, is in constant bloom, has a nice pink color and fragrance. You could also try Pink Gruss an Aachen. It's surprisingly compact and nice rose. The pink is slightly bolder than OLG but a nice pink, not garrish, and the blooms are much fuller. The plant is thornless or nearly so. In my garden, however, it doesn't bloom quite as well as OLG but might do better in a pot. Mine is in the ground. Our Lady of Guadalupe
    ...See More

Help me pick a front yard tree replacement!

Q

Comments (51)
    I hope you both are right and she was tired or confused. Believe me, to save a caliber midnight shubert I read everything available online on black knot too. However, when someone in the industry tells you they are now seeing infection in malus, you tend to believe them. I have to choose a replacement tree this year. I know that the spores are likely in the soil and whatever caused the infection is likely still upwind. Maybe a buckeye or ivory silk lilac. Have to reconsider how big I want it. Maybe even a nice evergreen. Will try posting photo when sun is out for photo taking.
    ...See More
  • mary (9b Bay Area CA)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks to you both.

Jackie, I have Monsieur Tillier, Marie Van Houtte, Madame Berkeley, Robin Hood, Carefree Delight and some icebergs in the front. The teas are spaced around 6 feet apart. The idea was to have a row of teas to provide privacy and color. I knew when I planted that these would take time, so I added fillers (verbena and guara). But it's looking pretty sparse out there, and I'm not liking the lack of privacy when I go out to weed, etc. I really like the idea of putting in a fence like you suggested. I could move the teas to the back or side yards if the fence makes too much shade. My three Robin Hood roses were meant to form a hedge along my neighbor's property. These I can move as they're getting sprayed by his sprinkler every morning. No pm though! I love these roses so far, and they might be good candidates for a fence. I originally thought 42" wouldn't do much for privacy, but I'm definitely reconsidering that. There isn't a sidewalk/walkway out front. People here often plant up to the street, though they're not supposed to ;) Maybe I could put the fence 8 feet back with the roses in front. The fence would be need to be around 28 feet wide, so two or three roses might do it.

Catspa, I'm sorry to hear about your Crepuscule. The size seems perfect, and I love the color. I've seen it listed as a good choice for my area, so it's definitely a candidate. I was just at Morcom last week, but most of the old roses are unlabeled which is difficult for this novice. I might know the one you mean, though.

• Adam Harbeck
    7 years ago

Have you seen the rose Broomfield Abundance?

Is sold in Aus as climbing Cecile Brunner (which it definitely is not). I've seen it grown as a lovely clipped screen. I've also seen crepuscule and mutabilis clipped in a simmilar way.

mary (9b Bay Area CA) thanked Adam Harbeck
  • jacqueline9CA
    7 years ago

Adam, the rose you are talking about is unfortunately still being sold under the name 'Bloomfield Abundance', even though DNA analysis has PROVED that is some sort of sport of Cecile Brunner. You are correct that it is not the climber, of course, but is now being called 'Spray Cecile Brunner', because it is a bush which sends up tall sprays of bloom at the top.

The real 'Bloomfield Abundance' was evidently lost decades ago, and the CB sport took its place in commerce. However, Fred Boutin may have just recently found the actual, true 'Bloomfield Abundance' - see HMF for pictures. Don't look at the old pics - they are mostly CB, but the new pictures are of the rose thought to be the real BA.

Sorry for the digression, but I think that sort of thing is interesting. I do agree with you that either of the bush forms of CB (the original, smaller bush or Spray CB) could be clipped into a nice hedge.

Jackie

• User
    7 years ago

I'm surprised to learn that Oakland has a 42 inch front yard fence rule. That's ignored a lot here in East Oakland.

mary (9b Bay Area CA) thanked User
  • mary (9b Bay Area CA)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone.

Hi Rbehs, I only learned about the fence requirement recently. Here's a local article about East Oakland http://oaklandvoices.us/fencing-off-a-neighborhoods-sense-of-community/ Funny I noticed when I was driving in the hills that fences are short in Oakland but suddenly get huge after crossing the border to Berkeley.

I love Cecile Brunner. I have a baby bush and a mature one which came with the house

Ingrid, I love Mutabilis! My 6 month old plant from ARE is already 4 feet tall and totally healthy. It looks more like a standard with two long bare canes and very bushy on top. Will definitely consider your idea. Btw, I've admired pictures of your beautiful garden as I've researched roses on these forums.

I am shy but mostly embarrassed about my garden. You'll see why. The first photo shows all the native clarkia going bonkers in June. Crazy english cottage garden.

Then I went to England for a few weeks. All the annuals had finished and now it looks like this

This crops out about 6 feet towards the street and on the left hand side, but you get the idea. Chaos! Most of these filler plants can and will go. There's a crepe myrtle, a purple princess tree, and a baby smoke tree in there somewhere. Those I'd like to keep. There are also some little tea roses hiding towards the front. This will hopefully make others feel better about their own gardens ;)

• jacqueline9CA
    7 years ago

Thanks for the pics! I have a side garden that looks like that, except I have hardly any filler plants, and the baby roses are all in deer cages because we get visited by a doe with one fawn every night. She carefully prunes anything which is sticking out of the cages - your front garden looks MUCH better than my side garden! I would wait until at least next Spring ( or the following Spring) to make any decisions about the roses - you don't know what they will do in our climate until they do it. A front fence will contribute greatly to your happiness in the meanwhile.

Jackie

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    7 years ago

Your garden is beautiful, but it actually makes me feel worse about my own yard. If your is "bad", I hate to think what others would think of mine. Probably why my pics are few and far between for the time being. I love that Clarkia!

mary (9b Bay Area CA) thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

Mary, love your posting. I too am starting at a new location. I have a few evergreens like Wilma Goldcrest and a few Olives and Arizona cypress adding some year round structure and green into the mix. I also put two Hollywood Juniper Torulosa at the entry. I think they can "bring the room together" along with some hardscape. I think some white and blue and lavender can blend well too. You have a great start!

mary (9b Bay Area CA) thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Vicissitudezz
    7 years ago

I agree with the idea of a fence with roses on the inside; your Teas will get taller than 42" and provide more privacy.

Another fan of the clarkia,

Virginia

mary (9b Bay Area CA) thanked Vicissitudezz
  • Dara McKay
    7 years ago

From experience, I recommend you turn to a proper distraction - which kind of gravel? what color, what consistency? Should there be several types? - then turn around. Your small roses will be midsize and a moment later large.

mary (9b Bay Area CA) thanked Dara McKay
  • mary (9b Bay Area CA)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, everyone. I'm feeling so much better about this. Adding a fence will make a huge difference in terms of privacy, structure, etc. It'll be much easier to figure out plantings once the bones are in place. I'm thinking of going with some type of wood lattice like this but shorter http://rosenotes.typepad.com/.a/6a010535bf3807970c01157016e5e2970b-pi

Not sure about hardscaping. Reclaimed brick if I can afford it.

Agreed that roses behind the fence is probably best, though people only walk on this part of my property to relieve their dogs. A few little pricks might be a good deterrent ;) But nothing too thorny- I'm an animal lover.

Vaporvac, the clarkia phase was great. It's the current phase that gets me down. I assure you it looks much worse in person!!! Our gardens all have their difficult phases, and I'm sure yours is beautiful. We tend to be our own worst critics, right? Clarkia is really easy where I live- drought tolerant, clay tolerant, etc. It only lasts for a month or two, but you'll get buckets of cut flowers.

Jackie, your gardens are an inspiration! How nice of the deer to help you. My current house is just below deer territory, but they've pruned for me many years in the past.

Sheila, I love your suggestions. Hope your new garden is coming along nicely. I seem to remember you planted a bunch of teas? Very exciting!

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

My goodness, I was expecting something dire; that's not bad at all. I think it's going to be fabulous. If you don't like Mutabilis for this purpose, a row of gorgeous, large tea roses would also be spectacular.

mary (9b Bay Area CA) thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Lisa Adams
    7 years ago

Mary, I too, was expecting a picture that would make me feel better about the state of my own garden:) You certainly have nothing to be ashamed of. Your front yard is a work in progress. I have seen front yards that don't look half that nice, and those people considered it good(and finished). With the drought in CA, ugly front yards are almost becoming the norm around here. Yours is far from ugly, AND your working to improve it. I've found that people on this forum are very friendly and eager to help. They've been better than any book or article because my specific questions get answered, for my specific climate, rose, soil, yard, etc.... I love this place! It helps everyone give better advice when they can get a visual.

I think a fence with big tea(or climbing) roses planted on the inside would be lovely. They will grow up and over the fence, cascading down on the street side. I'm betting the fence won't even be visible once the roses really grow in. Having the roses inside your fence also means more of your rose care can be done from the more private side of the fence. I'm not all that fond of being watched as I go about my gardening. I like to wear my junkiest clothes for gardening.

The clarkia looked great. The good thing about them is the way they self seed and you get a ton of fresh plants next spring. I always look forward to seeing them return. Is the white flower on the right a clarkia as well? I had a beautiful white one 2 years ago, but for some reason I didn't get any white seedlings this past spring. They do make great cut flowers though, so it's possible that I didn't leave much on the plant to produce seed.

How about a picture of your backyard now? We all love pictures. I have both Felicia and Cornelia. I'm debating about where to place Cornelia and its outgrowing its container. Time to make up my mind! Seeing yours might help me out:) Lisa

mary (9b Bay Area CA) thanked Lisa Adams
  • Rosefolly
    7 years ago

Here is a suggestion for your garden. Put in the fence with the roses inside it just as you are considering. Then outside the fence plant selections from Lauren Springer's He!!strip Garden suggestions, http://www.sunset.com/garden/landscaping-design/parking-strip-garden. They do well with low care and the reflected heat generated by a sidewalk. The advantages of this approach are several. First of all, it looks good with a minimum of care. Second, it provides contrast to the roses. Third, it reduces monoculture. Gardens of mainly one plant type are far more susceptible to disease. Fourth and finally, they are likely to be at their best when your roses are "resting".

Ms Springer has written several books since that article in Fine Gardening a couple of decades ago. The Undaunted Garden is the one that followed shortly after the article. It has information we don't need - a lot of winter hardiness since she is in Colorado - but also tough plants that stand up to heat and drought.

Rosefolly

mary (9b Bay Area CA) thanked Rosefolly
  • mary (9b Bay Area CA)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I really appreciate the kind words and suggestions, everyone! Going to try to squeeze in some gardening and assessing before work today.

Rosefolly- this is timely. I was just trying to come up with ideas for new companion plants. I've tried quite a few from the list you provided- some successfully, some not- but I'm always on the hunt for good drought tolerant perennials. . At the moment, there are two types of verbena, a dwarf guara, and ceanothus 'Carmel Creeper" at the front of the bed. Also weeds that I can't keep up with. I might rip it all out to install a walkway. I don't have a sidewalk; just plantings and mulch up to the street. Either way, I want something nice but low maintenance in front of the roses.

Lisa, the white clarkia is this one https://www.anniesannuals.com/plants/view/?id=1950 This was the first year I tried it, and hoping it comes back. The photos below are my backyard before roses and after. Cornelia is towards the back of the bed on the left hand side. There's a fence in the distance and some lights on poles. The lights are where my property ends. Cornelia gets morning sun/afternoon shade and seems pretty happy so far. Sorry for the blurry images. You might spot my garden assistant in there ;)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    7 years ago

Every garden is vastly improved with that kind of "helper". Your back yard is gorgeous without and with roses and I can tell you're an experienced gardener. It's going to be very exciting to see your front yard rose project. I hope you'll keep us updated here, with pictures of course!

mary (9b Bay Area CA) thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • jerijen
    7 years ago

I understand your pain . . .

It would probably be possible to buy mature plants, and have them installed ... but it would be pricey as all getout.

At another site, there was a discussion recently of "overplanting" -- and I have seen myself how mature roses can come to fill more space than you ever imagined.

One thing you might to is plant temporary "filler" plants, which can go away when the roses grow larger.

Here is an example of a small public rose garden which accommodates almost too many roses for the site. It's shown in winter, and in another year, in springtime.

I laid this garden out in 1994, and I did not then perfectly understand just HOW large they would become. Had I been more experienced, I could have used a few fewer roses. But as it was, we used "filler plants" in those first 3-4 years, because it looked so darned BARE.

So, I guess what I'm saying is -- the roses WILL grow up. All of these are WAY over the 5-ft.-high top of my head. Meanwhile, filler plants might help.

mary (9b Bay Area CA) thanked jerijen
  • mary (9b Bay Area CA)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, Jeri. That garden is stunning! The next step is a good path like what you have above. Right now I just have messy stepping stones which I plan to replace with brick. And I'm going to move the path to the center of the yard so the space will be divided up better. I want a rose path like that! Ingrid has something similar with her tea roses. But until then, I'm hoping a better structure and better fillers will help compensate for the bareness.

Incidentally, I'm finally getting Grandmother's Hat! It's been hard to track down, but Annie's Annuals has restocked it. I'm excited about that rose.

A general question- will my year old roses be set back quite a bit if I move them this winter? I'll have to transplant a couple if I move the path, but hope not to sacrifice too much growth rate.

• Rosefolly
    7 years ago

Winter is a good time to move them in our mild winter climate, and year old plants will take it in stride. When they get a bit older it is more of a shock to them.

mary (9b Bay Area CA) thanked Rosefolly
  • Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    7 years ago

Here's a Denise Dering design that gets talked about a lot on Houzz, because it's beautiful. I like the way the roses peak out through the fence.

I think this is what Jacqueline meant by a fence and space for plants.

mary (9b Bay Area CA) thanked Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
  • jerijen
    7 years ago

I agree with Rosefolly. Winter in CA is a good time to move roses. I figure the optimal time (in my coastal SoCal garden) is right around Christmas time.

As to that fence effect -- some people have done that here, and it looks really nice. But they've used Iceberg, which I don't think is as effective against the white pickets as the pink one shown above is.

But it'd be wise to select carefully. You don't want roses that are going to thrust out their prickly arms and snag passing pedestrians. :-)

mary (9b Bay Area CA) thanked jerijen
Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting