SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jaimeg_gw

Cannot move container - how to winter?

jaimeg
15 years ago

I have three clematis that I planted in spring in a VERY large container that I cannot move (cedar box measuring about 14 inches x about 8 feet). I have never worked with clematis and all three broke during initial planting, all three recovered and grew into their trellises, THEN we had a horrible wind storm (thanks, Ike) and two of the three broke again...one only has about 3 inches of growth. The other has nothing (may be dead). One that survived the wind storm is in the trellis. So with winter coming up (after such a rough season for them) I'm wondering what to do with them, since I can't move the container to the garage. I can't find the tag, but the flowers are pink and the name was some type of candy name (I'm not sure that helps...and it said "great for containers") Ok, so do I dig the one up that is not in a trellis and the "dead" one and put them in a pot in the garage (using tips found here)? What about the one in the trellis? Do I cut off the growth and put with the others - or leave out to face the winter in the container? Any suggestions would be great...and I'm going to keep looking for that tag with the exact name.

Thanks.

Comments (10)