SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Continued backyard/sideyard project... nearing the end!

Phew, it's been so many hours of labor, I lost track. This entire project has taken two full months of about 25 hours a week labor/planting, etc.

Total cost of the 'hardscaping', rocks, bricks, mulch, tools, border stones and the bridge came in around $2800. The plants I guess I'd estimate as a couple thousand, though some were planted before. All of the work was done by hand - no power tools, minus the dump trucks dropping bark and 3/4"-minus gravel on my driveway.

Some before and afters.

Sideyard(before)

{{gwi:630614}}

Sideyard(after)

{{gwi:652801}}

Backyard(Spring 08')

{{gwi:652802}}

Backyard(today)

{{gwi:652803}}

Summer '08 - If you're wondering, it's my 'great white' cat stalking a rabbit(barely visable)

{{gwi:652804}}

Same 'shot' - today.

{{gwi:652805}}

And a few other random angles.

{{gwi:652806}}

{{gwi:652807}}

{{gwi:652808}}

{{gwi:652809}}

I still need to finish out the very back. This is going to be my 'nursery' down the road, as it gets decent sun, but enough shade I think for Japense maples to grow OK.

Once the project is entirely finished - I still need 2 tons of obsidian to drop around the various plants and still have a few dozen plants on the way - I'll take more photos, close ups on various cultivars coming(I have some exciting new ones coming!) and hopefully by then all the Japanese maples amongst these plants will be leafed out.

The path is 3' to 4' wide. If I don't like how the gravel 'settles' as far as color and texture I may dress it up with an inch of grey pea gravel.

Also, the entire path is underlayed with 'landscaping fabric' as are trouble areas where I expect to fight with native weeds/grasses. I guess I'll have to deal with any negative effects of the fabric down the road. And yes Ken - it was already paid for - I didn't go buy new stuff - LOL

Will

Comments (12)