SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angie_diy

ISO: Patio and landscaping in oddly angled backyard?

angie_diy
7 years ago

Hi,

I am a Kitchen Forum oldtimer, and now I am ready to tackle the outside of the house! Unfortunately, although I am good with a hammer, I have the gardening abilities of a mealworm and the design sense of a three-toed sloth!

I have an adorable, cute little house (IMHO), but it sits on a funny lot. My property is L-shaped, with the front of the house on one street, and the driveway/detached garage on the cross street, so I completely surround my neighbor’s corner house. (Evidently, the corner lot was originally quite large, but it was subdivided before building.) And to make things even worse, the cross street is not at a right angle, so I wind up with funny angles in various places. I am in the midwest, in Zone 5b.

Lord knows the front of the house needs plenty of help, too, but this summer I am hoping to landscape the rear yard only. (I have included some pictures of the front, but just for context.) What do I want? We use the yard for cooking out, eating, some casual entertainment and hanging out. I would like a small patio, and a place to put my barbecue grill, and some low-maintenance plantings. My neighbors and I need to replace the fencing as well. Everything else is negotiable!

Right now, there is a sad, old brick walkway that starts near the front door, continues between the houses, past the side door (which we use constantly), then into the backyard. It then angles across the backyard to the walk-in door of the detached garage. There are a couple of problems with this. First, it divides the backyard into two small triangles. Second, there is no earthly reason to go straight to this door. So my tentative plan is to redirect this path along the fenceline, towards the front corner of my garage, so as to leave a larger plot of ground in the middle of the yard.

I am not sure where would be best to put a patio. My house faces south-by-southeast, and the backyard and garage are north of the house. Accordingly, just behind the house is mostly in shade, except for summer evenings. Obviously, the shade is welcome in August, and unwelcome in May. Another potential patio location is at the end of the yard, just south of my garage. This location would mostly be in full sun, picking up some shade in late afternoon from trees. I am seriously considering providing a small patio in both locations, so we can pick whether we want shade or not at any given time, but not sure I want that expense! I am imagining a traditional grass lawn, but am open to suggestions.

Okay, let’s commence our tour! Here is the plat map. I am Parcel #2, on the right.

Here is the front of the house, just for context and orientation.

Now we are at the side of the house, looking towards the backyard.

Now, we are nearly in the backyard, but first we turn around and show the side of the house from the other direction.

Finally, we arrive at the backyard, and pan the camera around.

Now, we are out at the end of the walk, at the garage door, and turn around to look back into the yard.

It looks like I have hit a limit on this post. I will try to continue in another post.

Comments (13)