SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
punkaweedus

Backyard project - Soil compaction for new sod

punkaweedus
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm working on a DIY backyard project. My backyard has a slope from west to east with a drop of about 18". My plan was to build a retaining wall, haul a few truck loads of fill dirt to level out the yard (with a slight slope for drainage), add a 1" layer of topsoil and finally install irrigation & new sod.

I've cleared the yard, built the retaining wall, and hauled 30 cubic yards of fill dirt into the area. At the deepest end of the property, the dirt is about 18" deep. When I step on the dirt it is very fluffy and soft, and my shoes sink into the dirt slightly. I placed a 12"x12" brick paver on the dirt, jumped on it a few times and the dirt sank about 2".

I've talked to the idiots at Home Depot who have suggested everything from walking over the entire area repeatedly to renting a bobcat and driving over it. I have read that there are a few tools that can be used to compact the dirt: a hand tamper, vibratory plate compactor, or a jumping jack compactor.

Does anyone with experience compacting soil have any recommendations on which would work best in my situation? Since I have already backfilled and leveled the dirt, would the jumping jack be the best option? In hindsight I should have compacted the dirt when it was between 6"-12" deep. I could let the dirt settle naturally over time, but I'm eager to get this project done. And my wife is tired of looking at dirt through the kitchen window. LOL

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you.

Comments (17)