SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treeguy_ny

Partial windthrow - can it be fixed?

While walking the property after one of our recent overnight wind storms, I noticed my P. strobus leaning at quite the abnormal angle. This tree was planted as a bare root seedling about 4-5 years ago. The past two years it has really started to put on good growth, so I am rathe p*** off that this has happened now. The following pictures show the tree at its new angle as well as the base of the trunk/root flare. The tree is easily rocked upright with little to no effort, but it just as easily falls back to its new 45 degree angle. Is there anything I can do to help it regain stable vertical growth? or is this a lost cause and it is better off being pulled in spring and tossed in the compost? Lastly, what can I do to prevent this in the future? My 7 foot austrian pine did the same thing last year. I have tied that one up to a stake in hopes of it becoming windfirm eventually. My clay based soils get easily waterlogged in late winter/early spring, which is what I assume to be the cause here. What if anything can I do to save this tree?
The tree:
{{gwi:648789}}
The root flare as it sits:
{{gwi:648791}}
The root flare when the tree is pushed back into upright position:
{{gwi:648794}}

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath