SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eric77_gw

Norway Spruce spacing

eric77
10 years ago

Hi All:
I did a lot of reading on this forum last summer concerning Norway spruce spacing.

I live in Western NY, zone 5, and I live on a flag lot with an 800' foot long driveway. I decided last fall to plant a single row of Norway Spruce along the driveway for privacy purposes (hide my neighbor's junk). I planted them 15' apart. They are 5' B&B trees.

I am a young guy (35) and I am a patient guy, so I'm happy to wait 5-10 years for them to grow/fill out. But I also plan to stay at this house for the rest of my life, and I am concerned that in 10-20 years, these trees will grow too close together and lose the bottom branches.

So my question is this: I feel like I have a one-time opportunity to move these trees further apart this coming spring, say 20-25' apart. OR, do I simply leave them alone, and when the time comes that they grow too close together, do I remove every other tree?

I've read that this tree gets to 25-40' spread "when mature", I just have no idea if I will hit that spread in 10, 20 or 50 years? These trees get full sun and they are free of any weeds and grasses.

For what it's worth, I don't have room for a second row as the area in question is between my property line and my driveway. The area is only about 20' wide but 400' long.

Thanks for the advice you put on these boards. I have learned an awful lot about evergreens in the past 5 years from your posts.

Comments (12)