SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
butterflutter

lemon tree dropping fruit

butterflutter
16 years ago

I bought a lemon tree this spring that was just loaded with blooms and fruit.

I repotted it in a mixture of pete, pine bark, cactus mix and a little sand, being careful not to disturb the root ball. I placed it on the stone walk in my garden where it receives full sun.

Because it is so hot and dry here in Mississippi right now (90+ every day) I water it about every other day. It's in a twelve inch pot and is approximately 4 feet tall.

About 6 weeks ago the top leaves yellowed and the fruit began dropping. The fruit was about the size of a dried pea. When all was said and done I was left with only two lemons. They are about the size of a large marble right now.

I then began a fertilize regiment that includes osomocote, ironite and millinite. I have been doing this for about a month and add one of the three to it at least every other week. I just came in from adding about half a cup of millinite to it. It has greened back up but the fruit continues to turn yellow and drop as soon as it sets. I know it is being pollinated because there are various bees and wasps on it constantly.

I am at my wits end because I just don't know what to do for it. I did read, on this site, and trust me I have read them all, that some of the fruit will just naturally

drop but I was really hoping that I would have fruit in severaly different stages of ripening at all times. Is this asking too much? Will I just have to wait until the two lemons that are on it are mature and picked before I can expect more fruit to stay? Citrus lovers------ I need your help and expert advise very soon!!!!!

Comments (5)