SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

My new Hummel's Sunset jade

Andrew Scott
13 years ago

Yesterday this beauty arrived from K & L Cactus in California. It cost $40.00 plus shipping but considering the size and the size of the base of the trunk, I was not complaining. I highly recommend this nursery to anyone who is looking for larger jades. Thanks Norma for the recommendation! Lorraine emailed me pictures of all her large Hummel's and also sent me pictures of her other jades. I like how she offers cuttings also! I am very pleased with this jade.

I do want to ask a question. I think Norma had said that the Hummel's have more of a sprawling habit. Is that correct? Not sure if I am remembering this wrong or not but mine seems to have a more weeping habit than other jades I have seen. I got this as a bare root and repotted it into an 8 inch pot and then put it in a part sun position. Lorraine warned me that if I gave it more direct sun the leaves would revert to green again. I also was wondering if this jade is blooming size or not. I do look forward to seeing flowers for the first time!!

Andrew

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:640390}}

Comments (26)

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Great looking jade and nice price tag too!! She's a real beauty!

Quick question: for the Humel's Sunset to turn that beautiful redish-orange color; should we keep it out of direct sunlight? Maybe this is why mines is sill looking very green but with hints of red around its edges?

Bo

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Spetacular Andrew!!!!

Hi Bo..

I always thought that the more sun these plants get in cooler temps, is what changes the color..At least mibe are.
    If I take them out of the sun, as I ccidently on one of them, they revert to a greener color..No?

Great plant

Mike

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Jade - Hummels 'Sunset' or Gollum cuttings

Q

Comments (0)
    I've done well with the regular Jade ovata (have two nice sized ones), a Hobbit that I've had about 5 years and just got a variegated noID cutting which has rooted nicely. Just got my greenhouse put up (a birthday, Christmas and few ohter holiday gifts combined, lol), so I'd like to take the plunge and try a few others. Hummels and Gollum are the two I can think of off the top of my head but anything I don't have already would be great!!. check my list for trades... Thanks!!
    ...See More

Variegated Hummel's Sunset Jade Plant???

Q

Comments (14)
    cacturmcharris- thanks for you kind words :) puglvr1- thank you also, and judging by your name you like pugs? u would love it here, 3 pugs, 2 french bulldogs, think im addicted to them haha. Juleclmns- Thanks, i have just googled it and yes, its looks like that is what they are called, although, i've read on another thread on here, the name tropical sunset- love it!! so think I will call it that :) Marguerite- I looked at the link.. appologies for out-bidding, but as soon as it gets a bit bigger I will send you cuttings if you like?? It is a beautiful plant, it seems to glow!! I would love to be able to get it going elsewhere. Kind Regards, Steve
    ...See More

Hummel Sunset Jade

Q

Comments (2)
    Unless you are comfortable and have grown crassula before, I wouldn't buy a big plant. I can only offer an opinion based on my climate under my care. This plant does best in as much sun as possible. My largest one is in "almost" full sun. Sun from sunrise until very late afternoon. I also have summer temps that can go over 110 degrees. The more shade I give one, the more it is green and not yellow and red. It colors best in the winter right up against the plastic on the west wall of the greenhouse. Plants on the east side of the greenhouse don't look as nice. I experimented with a few indoors over the winter. The only one that held any color was one right against a south window that wasn't obstructed by things outside. Plants in the east windows were pretty much green. I would go easy on water and very easy on fertilizer. In my opinion most people over pot crassula and that is why they don't see blooms. randy
    ...See More

Calling all Jade Fiends...I mean, Friends :) Is this Hummel's Sunset?

Q

Comments (77)
    Most of the forums I've been on only allow editing for anywhere from an hour or two to a few days. The reasoning, as I understand it, is that threads quickly become incoherent if people go back and change content that people have already responded to. Or something like that. OTOH, forum administrators can always delete content for privacy or if you don't want something you said out there for some reason, so long as it's reasonable to do it, though Houzz could be so hands off that they don't actually have someone on staff with the time to keep up with the demands.
    ...See More
  • meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Andrew, I was wondering...

Could be also that the sun in California is very hot at this time along with temps, which could be the reason why she said to you it keep it out of the sun..They also revert to green in very hot temps and sun with a lack of cooler nights..

Don't forget, we are in our much cooler climate now, and a different angle in the sun, which for me has been turning them very colorful in our full sun....

Mike..:-)

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Mike - thanks for explaining the difference. I was ignorant of the effects of cooler and hotter sun. I'll start moving them back out into the sun. BTW, I received your cuttings. They're beautiful and I can't wait to pot them up. ( :

p.s. sorry for hijacking your post Andrew.

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Andrew I can only respond to what i do in my locatition. Our humidity is next to 0 except when it is going to rain, I have had it in a 20 hole strawberry pot, for years, I can't even remember, I water it once a week except during the rainy season, I don't think mine has good color, and the soil needs to be changed, I can't lift it I only weigh 91 lbs. It is a very small plant because I prune it so often to give plants away. The flowers have been very scarce, I will VF-11 which will start the bud development. It takes time to color up so don't panic. I do think the cold helps that along. Ask the "experts". Denise in Denver will give the best advise, hers is the best I have ever seen, fertilizer will cause green growth.

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Wow Andrew...What a beautiful, large and FULL Hummel Sunset! Congrats!

Mine is just like Mike suggested...to get the full colors I have to have a combination of cold(not freezing) and direct sun. Right now in this heat and humid summer...mine are all green.

Enjoy it!! Its just beautiful!

Hi Mike, hope you got my email!

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Mike,
    Yes, I am in love with this jade. The colors are not to there full potential but I figure maybe by next week it can go out into the sun again. I will email Lorraine again and ask her again what the best thing to do for the leaf coloration. The cuttings I got from Norma are pretty green. I have kept them in full sun for months now and I just noticed some cream coloration on the leaf edges. Weird huh. Yours in full sun and look great. Mine in full sun and they look nothing like yours and there from Norma's Hummel's Sunset right?
    Hi Bo,
    Why did ya have to hijack my post anyhow? Get your own...LOL, I am just teasing. You know better than to apologize to me! :)
    Hi Norma,
    I know my humidity is higher. This summer has been unusually dry but the rains have been here for the past few weeks. I have been carefull with how much water they get. Can you have someone help you with repotting yours? I know I have had trouble with moving some of my tropicals this summer when I was just starting to recover from my back surgery. I can appreciate your situation but I do not live alone so I know I can get some help. I did want to ask about the growth habit of this jade. Is it diffrent than others? Mine seems to have a more weeping growth pattern. I don't know if maybe it was grown in a more shaded area? IS this typical? Maybe you can help me with the blooming of it. I will have to see if I can find some VF-11 around here. Can you tell me what it is? Is it like a fertilizer? I would love to see some blooms and since this is probobly the only jade that I have that is large enough to bloom, I would really like to try. I would also like to know if I could contact Denise. Is she on this forum? I don't know her and I know it is possible that I have seen her here but didn't know that it was her.
    Tomorrow I am going to back to the botanical gardens in Buffalo NY. They have a jade and succulent house and I am hoping to talk to the growers there and see if I can get some tips from them since they know more about growing jades in this area. I still appreciate all your advise. I am sure you know more than they do.
    Andrew

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    13 years ago

Hey, Andrew, you scored a fantastic Jade!
    Great size, great price, great development and color!

I assume that the 'weeping' you're noticing is due to a lack of turgidity in the limbs,
    rather than a characteristic of your plant. Since it was bare-root, it'll take a few weeks
    at least before it 'perks up.' But, rest assured, it will.

If I move my Jades into shade, they lose their color pronto. Jade Man recently conducted an
    experiment with his 'Hummel's Sunset' Jades and determined, by far, that sun has the greatest effect on color/intensity.

Josh

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

I agree with Josh..

It will perk up over time with lot's of sun..I"ll bet it looks weepy because that is the shape it took in the package so it wouldn't break..The leaves had to be forced downwards while packing..That is what my sisters looked like when she took her out of the box....Now it stands straight up..

I love you Jade Andrew....Beautiful!

Hi Pug: Please send us a wry fall will ya?;;_0)

Hi Norma and Bo...

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

I love YOUR jade Andrew..lolololollolol

Mike

13 years ago

Haha! Hey, Mike!

Josh

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Andrew present your new plant to sun gently, giving it morning sun at first. Don't try to force color this year, Norma

• User
    13 years ago

Hi all,

Can I jump in here to clarify? I believe Norma is referring to our friend Denise from Omaha, who hangs out here & at Hoya Forum (next door).

It is Denise who has this tremendous collection of Jades, Hobbit, Gollums, some in semi-bonsai type arrangements (if I recall). I believe she can be reached through the GW facility of Member Page w/ link to EMail the person.

As to Eleanors VF-11, (which many of us at Hoya Forum know & use), is available simply by searching for it online. Last I knew, Eleanor provided an address where one could write for an 8 oz. sample & pay postage costs (when I did it a couple of years ago, I think it was $3).

Hard to say exactly what it is, not a fertilizer per se, considered more of a tonic I believe. Many use it as a foliar feed, sprayed on w/ a mister. I mostly watered it in.

13 years ago

Denise does grow some very fine Jades, indeed.

For spectacular advice on the 'Hummel's Sunset' in particular, Randy is the Master.
    His blooming, bonsai-potted 'Hummel's Sunset' blew me away when I first saw it.

Here's a link to a Thread on VF-11 (for those present who haven't seen it yet).
    Al gives a great breakdown of the product.

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Eleanor's VF-11 and miracle grow

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Andrew...for what its worth, I found this link(below) about how to get Jades to bloom. I have NO idea if it works but I'm going to try and follow the directions...I have nothing to lose so I might as well try it. I will post an update next year "if" it works for me? Good luck I really hope you get yours to bloom, that would be a sight to see!

I agree that Denise does have some beautiful Jades...even won some ribbons from her C&S garden club!

Josh, I know exactly the Hummel Sunset Jade you're referring to from Randy...that is one GORGEOUS specimen for sure! What I would give to own that plant. Its spectacular!

Here is a link that might be useful: How to get Jades to Bloom

• valyn
    13 years ago

Andrew, Thank you so much for posting the photo of your new Hummel's Sunset and for sharing the site with us.
    I ordered one from Lorraine and it arrived today. I am so pleased with it. It is not as full as yours and more tree-like. It is exactly what I wanted. Lorraine is so helpful and a joy to deal with.
    Thank you again,
    Val

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Val,
    I am so glad you gave Lorraine a shot. Isn't her plants great? She emailed me pics of diffrent blooming cacti she has right now and I am debating on buying one of them but I am not sure if I want something else yet. I looked at the one you bought for a while but I decided to get mine because it was more full. I also asked her if she had a picture of the jade she sent to me so she could check it out and tell me if it had that weeping form when she had it and she said yes. She also told me that I would probobly end up having to prune it to get it to produce growth that wouldn't weep. I did accidently break off a large branch by trying to tie it to a stake so it could straghten for me. Well, now I have a cutting that is about 8 inches long and I have laid it down on the turface to see if it will root. What size was the pot yours came in? What did you think of her prices? I thought they were VERY fair. I had to laugh when she sent it to me she packed it in a box that had a beer logo on it and the post office told her that she would have to repackage it because it wouldn't get to me. LOL..Poor Lorraine must have been so frustrated. She told the postal worker that the jade weighed less than a can of beer. I couldn't believe that and it made me nervous thinking she sent the wrong jade but when I got it, it was surprisingly light. How tall is your tree?
    Andrew

• - -
    13 years ago

Hello Andrew and Val. I also got a small Hummel's from Lorraine. I am also pleased as it was exactly what I wanted. Not only were her prices fair, but also shipping was a true cost.

• norma_2006
    13 years ago

Andrew 'Hummel's Sunset' does not sprawl, only if grown incorretly. It grows upright just like the rest of the "Jades".

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Val and Tinyplants...any chance we can see pictures of your new Hummel Sunset Jades? Would love to see it, I'm sure so would others. Thanks

• - -
    13 years ago

Hi Pug: Yes, we all love those pictures. Sorry I have none as I never opened a photo account or taken any pictures. Thank you for yours though.

I especially follow your posts because your information is so valuable to me here in FL. My new jades are small because there is competition for a place in the sun on my porch, and because they grow slowly here I am able to have other cultivars of Ovata.

My new Hummel's is about the size of Mike's Hummel's that he posted in the thread "survived the cut." I thank Mike too, because of his cutting, I now have gotten others.

Sadly, I once had a jade tree. If I had known about this forum at that time and all the valuable information here, I may have been able to save it.

• aveo5
    13 years ago

Hey Andrew...or anyone. I went to the K&L Cactus online catalog,but i couldnt get the succulent page to load up, i kept getting the page to order a paper catalog. And in the pictures of succulents, I didnt see any of the Hummel Sunset Jade. Is it under some other page or name? I had this jade a long time ago,and it went green on me was never that beautiful! I would love to look at what they have and the prices. But is anyone else having trouble loading the succulent page? And do they sell smaller sizes of this Jade? That is the size of my Gollumns,

• - -
    13 years ago

You'll have to call her. The telephone number is on the home page. Tell her what size you want and she will send you pictures.

• aveo5
    13 years ago

But I cant see any of her succulents at all....am I the only one that is having that problem, that that part of the online catalog wont load up?

• - -
    13 years ago

No, they are not there, not listed at all. Under "View our
    Plant Photos," you could see identifying pictures, but not
    for sale pictures. You could email her also at her email address at the bottom of the home page.

• Andrew Scott
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hello everybody,
    Okay, I have been talking with Lorraine for a while now and she said that this particular jade always had a weeping form to it. I tried to stake one of the branches and it broke off but I put it straight into turface an it rooted in 3 days!

Okay, as for an update with the jade itself, I am all ready seeing a ton of new growth! I have probobly a dozen buds that have formed all along the stems and I also have small white roots growing in the nodes. I had not watered it since I soaked it(I don't know what i was thinking by soaking the rootball. I have to get out of that habit. It comes from growing tropical fruit trees, LOL!). I actually had to remove the jade rootball and all, and replace soil with fresh soil and it has been about a week since then, maybe a little longer. I gave it some water today but I can ssure you that the branches are turgid. If I could figure out how to post the pic from Lorraine into a message here, I would but I don't know how to do that. I am convinced that this is a happy jade though!
    Andrew