SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_scott77

Cultural questions for installing a new Brugs bed.

Andrew Scott
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I hope you all had a fun filled but safe holiday this year. i know i did. I was fortunate to have some family from Florida come to Thanksgiving all the way up in NY! I don't know if I would want to even come back for Thanksgiving considering how much warmer it is in FL!

Anyhow, I was fortunate to be one of the winners of Kathy's Brugs contest. I got all my cuttings in great shape and now, I am getting them growing. I did this last year with no troubles. I just rooted the cuttings in a glass of water. I changed the water daily and with a short amount of time, I had roots and shoots. I then potted them up in a high quality potting soil that I added some perlite to for drainage. The potting soil was holding a little too much water for my liking.

Then, I put them outside in a site that recieved full morning sun and the brugs took off! I could not believe how fast they were growing for me! It was almost like watching my musa 'basjoo' growing but the banana still was growing much faster.

Back then, I wasn't in to the Brugs as much so I wasn't really reading too many older posts here to learn more. The one frustrating point I learned about quickly was why my brgus were not blooming as fast as I had hoped. I don't remember who it was at the time, but I was told that the brugs would have to form a "Y" before it would form buds. I was checking everyday for that darn "Y", and finally the one 'Frosty pink' did it but one out of 4??

Basically I need to know what I am doing wrong. I know that most plants have specific care instructions so they will thrive and bloom. I would like to know about fertilizers and another thing I know I am going to do diffrently is that I am just going to plant the cutting right into the flower bed instead.

In order to do this succesfully, I wanted to know what soil would be the best for them? Would it be a good idea to add some well rotted compost or cow manure to the bottom of the hole, then add soil on top of that and then plant the brug? I have 4 existing flower beds. I know I cannot have anymore since this is an apartment house is good size along with the yard. The 2 front flower beds I want to convert into tropicalesque borders with the brugs, plumeria and my tropical fruit trees as the main attraction. My 2 back yard borders are also up against the house. One is quite small but it has nothing in it so I can really just plant brugs in there. The other flower bed is my hummingbird and butterfly garden but trust me, I will be ripping out a bunch of the perrenials that I don't like anymore, or they just didn't grow well for me.

I appreciate anyone who takes the time to help me out. Sorry for the long post but I have so many questions still that I need answers for.

Andrew

Comments (3)