SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trunkmonkey_gw

not to sound paranoid or anything.....

trunkmonkey
16 years ago

So I bought 2 trees from fourwinds (1 meyer lemon and 1 washington navel, does anyone have any tips on my washington? I see people mention it, but dont talk about it too much) and they arrived about 3 days ago. When I pulled them out of the box they looked plenty healthy, and potted them right away.

But Im not sure if my soil was well draining enough. I got some miracle grow, but could't find any potting mix without spagnum peat moss. But according to everyone else, peat is a good thing. so I want too worried about that, because fourwinds said that they ship their 2-3 year old trees with cedar shavings. I used most of the shavings and put the rest in a baggie in case I needed them later. (are shavings going to drain well enough for me?)

So when I watered for my first time, I added some plant food which I ordered along with my trees from fourwinds. I added the correct amount of plant food into the water, shook it up, and watered until I saw water draining out of the bottom. But water didnt come out until like 15 seconds later. I ended up using about 1 1/2 1/2 gallon milk cartons on the trees untill the water was draining out. So I dont think it drains as good as it is reccommended, but I think it should work. I misted the leaves every day since then, eccept for yesterday, I wanted to see if I should hold off or not.

After the first watering, I went to sleep and woke up to see that like 1 or 2 leaves had fallen off. But I read that a little leaf drop is normal and so I thought nothing of it. Later, after having my tree indoors for 2 days, I moved it outside under my auning(sp?) so that it would have good shade and have easy access. But the next morning I woke up to see that the sun was hitting on the trees directly and some of the leaves were wilting and felt soft and leathery. I imediatly pulled the auning out almost as far as it could go to cover the trees. I was gone most of the rest of the day, and when I came back, the leaves were looking better, but not fully recovered. they were still a lighter green than the rest of the leaves and curled.This was the day I didn't mist the trees.

Now, today I woke up and saw that the leaves looked better yet. still not perfect, but there was improvement. But now I nocticed that some of the leaves look like they're being eaten, some look like there are holes burned in them, some have half of the leaf missing(almost like someone took a pair of sissors and cut it down the middle), and some have white spots on them that look like water spots (you know what water spots look like, right?) I can wipe the spots off so I think I may have mights. I inspected the trees a little bit this morning for mites, but not thuroughly at all. I didn't have the time. I'll check again tonight and tommorrow morning.

Am I just being paranoid? Sorry, I know I put too much detail in there, but I AM going to get this right, growing citrus trees.Oh, and I will put up asmany pictures as I can later in detail to show you what I am talking about. Thank you in advance!

Comments (3)