SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
turquoisegardenia

Is something wrong with my tomatoes, or am I just being paranoid

turquoisegardenia
13 years ago

Hi everyone! As this is my first post, allow me to introduce myself; my name is Fawn, and I live in Montreal, QC, Canada (Zone 5A unless I'm reading NRC's map incorrectly). I live on the 3rd floor in a row of rowhouses, so my gardening is exclusively in containers on my balcony. This is the first year I've tried anything more than just a few herbs, but what I lack in experience, I try to make up for with research and hard work!

I have two tomato plants (a Cherokee Purple and a Giant Belgium) growing in a big Rubbermaid storage bin; I've drilled six rather large holes on the bottom to allow for drainage and have filled the bin with a mix of approximately 30% Miracle-Gro potting mix with slow-release fertilizer, 30% compost, 25% coco coir, 5% perlite and vermiculite, and 10% well-rotted cow manure (this is just an approximation but I'm sure you get the drift). In addition, I mixed in a couple handfuls of organic vegetable food (8-4-5) consisting of bonemeal, feather meal, potash and lime, when I first potted them up about a month ago.

Until about a week ago, they looked great, and each of them has at least a dozen flowers on them and is growing more; also, one of them has 3 tomatoes (albeit grape-sized at the moment). Recently, however, they've started to droop, particularly on the bottom leaves, and the left-hand one (unfortunately I've forgotten which is which) has developed small brown spots at the leaf corners bordered by yellow. Here are some pics to give you an idea what we're talking about:

http://img709.imageshack.us/g/img0075jv.jpg/

Despite this, the plants still look reasonably healthy and are growing well, so maybe I'm just being paranoid, but if I'm doing something wrong, I'd like to nip it in the bud-- I only have two of these plants, after all!

The fertilizer box did say to feed again every 4-5 weeks for "hungry" plants, including tomatoes, so yesterday I did so and also topped up with some more manure.

So what do you guys think? Am I under-fertilizing? Over-fertilizing? Am I maybe over-watering? I do water every day, but everything I read tells me tomatoes like a lot of water, and that container plants need more water than in-ground ones. Or, alternately, should I just shut up and accept that tomato plants aren't necessarily flawlessly beautiful? :p

Thanks in advance guys, and have a nice evening!

Fawn

Comments (4)