SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilgreenfrog

Possible wilt - did I do a bad thing?

lilgreenfrog
15 years ago

Hello! This will be my first full year with clematis, so bear with me; sorry this is so long!

I have a Niobe that I put in last October. Late, I know. However, she came up just fine this spring, and even bloomed once. After that, growth stalled, and then the leaves started turning brown. I gave it more water (don't want to over do it, as I have clay), but that didn't help. So, two days ago I decided to dig her up, for two reasons. I thought maybe I'd over-watered and she was drowning, or she was getting too much sun and was crisping (the spot gets several hours of full sun).

When I dug her up the dirt seemed to be at a nice moisture level, and I believe the roots looked good (kinda orange colored, but firm and with a wet white pith?) However, there weren't many new roots - I got her entire root ball pretty easily. So I potted her and moved her to dappled shade to recuperate.

Only then did I wander over here and do some reading....SIGH. It looks like she might have wilt, as I believe it started at the tips and worked its way down. She has very few leaves left, but her two stems are still alive.

I know the move has stressed her, but is there anything I can do now to help her out, other than wait and see if she recovers? I guess I should put her deeper in the pot so some nodes are buried. I assume I shouldn't fertilize such a stressed plant...should I cut off her leafless stems?

Thanks so much! I love this forum!

Lara

Comments (5)