SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cruiserandmax

30yr Lemon tree sudden death. What now?

cruiserandmax
9 years ago

We have (had) a 30+yr old lemon tree growing in our backyard that has, for it's entire life, completely thrived. It would literally grow lilke crazy and produce loads of lemons nearly year round without anything except pruning- apparently our climate has been a perfect combination of sun/rain over all those years.

This month it suddenly died. And by sudden I mean it went from normal to yellow to all brown/dead leaves in about 1 week.

Two possible things that may be related:

1) about 1 year ago we began noticing about 1 out of every 10 lemons was missing it's rind. We guessed rats (which are in the area) were eating them.

2) 6 months ago we treated the soil around the perimeter of our house for sub-subterranean termites. The tree sits about 20 feet from the closest wall of the house (wall in pictures is neighbor).

Attached pictures show the the recent history up until the death. Note the missing bark and "moldy" looking splotches on the lower branches have been there for at least 6 years.

We would like to replace the tree. Our knowledge of this sort of thing is next to nothing. Questions would be:

1) Should I worry about what killed the tree affecting a new tree?

2) How much of the old tree do I need to get out of the ground before planting a new one?

3) Recommendations on where to go/what kind of tree to replace this with (I believe it was a meyer lemon tree)

4) Do we need any special soil changes or addition to accompany a new tree planting?

Comments (7)