SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daer0n

what am I doing wrong?

daer0n
15 years ago

I have a; meyer lemon tree, key lime tree and a calamondin orange tree that i bought this year.

1) I would like to know how to take a cutting and get it root. I have tried a few times with the lemon tree but all that ends up hapening is the leafs on the cutting dry out and the branch starts to (slowly, 3 weeks maybe) go brown. How i have been doing it is: taking a branch that is a good 4-6 inches long and has 4+ leaves on it (cut it off with poultry shears), taking all flower buds off -if there are any-, take a box cutter and trim about 1 inch of bark off on side on the branch. Dip the branch into rooting hormone and put into water. I keep the cutting indoors under lowenergy flourescent light very close to the humidifier that i use for the rest of my trees. However after as few as 4 days the cutting looks pretty sad, dry and wilted. The leaves get a definate browning and i can not touch them or they will fall off. I have the cutting in a clear glass so that i can see if rooting has started and last time i waited almost 3 weeks with nothing. I am not so worried that nothing has happened because i had to prune the tree to get it more even anyhow so i wasn't hurting the tree to try however i would like to get them to work so i could give one to my dad.

2) is it adviseable to polinate my trees with a paintbrush since they are all going to be indoor trees? -i live in canada zone 3 so they will not have bees doing it for me-

3) we had a week of decent weather (22-28C) here so i put the trees out on the balcony, i noticed that the leaves yellowed right away -and a few fruit did aswell- would that be because they weren't "hardened off" even though the spot i put them was directly on the otherside of the window where they live indoors?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH