SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abbie_road

tilling vs. 'lasagna' beds; composting help; new to area - HELP!

abbie-road
17 years ago

i'm fairly new to gardening, and i'm new to these forums. i'm looking for help with tilling vs. "lasagna" beds, composting, and miscellaneous SC gardening. i was trying to answer my questions by simply reading others' posts, but since everyone seems so nice and helpful, i thought i'd post my questions.

i live in one of those new neighborhoods where they clear out everything and put back in cookie-cutter landscaping. i hate it. i just moved here from south florida (where i rented but had a nice balcony garden), and i want color and unique interesting landscaping. not just like my neighbors (no offense to them of course!).

[sorry for back story; now for questions.]

(1) i think i've read enough to know i should do the "lasagna" method instead of tilling. (but opinions here are very welcome.) can i do the "lasagna" method around my existing (cookie-cutter) shrubs, or do i have to rip them up? there are 4 hollies in my front bed and a few small evergreen shrubs i haven't identified. the ground was never tilled, and no topsoil was ever put down - just pine straw, which i ripped out weeks ago on a whim. (but i regret that now that i'm learning about composting, etc. which leads to my next question.)

(2) the lasagna method requires compost. i don't have any. is this something i can make quickly or buy? or can i use bags that say they contain compost? also, my husband thinks it will smell too bad. but if i get a compost container, won't that help with the smell?! i thought it would just smell like dirt anyhow, and i don't think that's too bad. so, does it smell???!

(3) as i've mentioned, i'm new to gardening, especially in this area with the dry, hard-as-concrete clay. (not to mention all the construction junk we've dug up - nails, shoes, metal sheets, etc.) if anyone on here is in the upstate SC area, do you know of any garden classes or amateur garden clubs? i've looked for classes on the clemson website since that's the local extension service, but everything seems to be for children or teenagers. i certainly have a juvenile level of knowledge about gardening here, but i dont think i'd be too welcome! : D

any help would certainly be appreciated. thank you in advance!!!

Comments (18)