SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

Intro & Need Suggestions

drjoann
13 years ago

My DH (a native North Carolinian) & I are building our retirement home in the Upstate (Travelers Rest). We currently live in Houston, so this is a remote build, for us. We have about 2 wooded acres and tried to maintain as many trees as possible. We want to keep the landscaping as natural looking as possible with very little grass, but we do want some plants, trees & flowers. Because of the slope of the lot, we have a nice walkout basement. Below are some pictures that are a few weeks old.

{{gwi:585283}}

{{gwi:585285}}

{{gwi:585287}}

When we met with the landscape contractor, we tried to convey to him that we wanted to use lots of native plants, and have something like a cottage garden feel. I wanted a butterfly garden in the front and the back because we plan to enjoy our morning coffee on the front terrace and the large sets of windows on the back, left side are for my crafts/sewing room. I wanted a place to grow herbs & didn't mind if it is in the front amidst flowers as I understand some French gardens are done (also, the December issue of Fine Gardening).

Now, there are some things that DH wants that don't fall under "native". He loves Japanese maples and wanted some ornamental fruit trees like cherries for the spring blossoms. I asked if a lilac was possible and was told "no". In any event, we did try to convey some wants & ideas that we hoped would show up in the design. What we got back was a plan that looked like it could have been done for anyone & didn't seem tailored to us. I'm sure it's a nice design, but there are no butterfly or herb gardens (patches of rosemary for ground cover don't really count). No native wild flowers. DH did get his Japanese maples and his cherry trees.

I'm kinda at a loss of how to approach getting the landscape we want. So, I thought I could start here with the species that are on the plan and get a feel for how close they come to what we were asking for.

Abelia "Kaleidoscope"

Autumn Fern

Azalea "Encore"

Beauty Berry

Boxwoods "Korean"

Cephalotaxus "Creeping Yew"

Cherry "Yoshino"

Deodora Cedar

Dogwood Kousa

Euonymous "Burning Bush"

Gardenia "August Beauty"

Helleborus "Lenten Rose"

Heuchera "Palace Purple"

Holly "Nellie R Stevens" or "Wirt Winn"

Hydrangea "Oak Leaf"

Japanese Maple "Bloodgood"

Japanese Maple "Crimson Queen"

Juniper "Dwarf Anborra"

Lonopetalum "Burgundy"

Magnolia "Sweet Bay"

Pennisetum "Dwarf Fountain Grass"

Pieris "Mountain Fire"

Red Bud "Forest Pansy"

Rhododendron

Rosemary

Viburnum "Davidii"

Viburnum "Pragense - Snowball"

Weeping Cypress

The landscaper had a local landscape architect do the design, but the architect never spoke to us. Would it be a reasonable thing to call up the architect and get a feeling for his design rationale? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Jo Ann

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals