SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maubles

Newbie Intro and Carolina Jessamine question

maubles
15 years ago

Hi everyone! I have lurked and read and learned for quite awhile. It always seemed like when I would get ready to post a question, it would get answered in some form or another before I got the chance to ask it. I have found a wealth of wonderful and helpful info from everyone here.

I guess I'll start with a quick intro. My name is Michelle and I live in eastern Oklahoma, almost in Arkansas. I grew up in OKC and often spent my summers in this part of the world with my Grandpa and we would spend the summer fishing or working in the garden. I have many fond memories of that time in the garden, so when we moved to this area to help care for him and I had room to grow my own garden, I did. I mostly grow vegetables and herbs, but I try to keep a good variety of flowers and things for the birds, bees and butterflies.

What I was hoping to get some opinions on is I have two arbors that are covered in Carolina jessamine. The arbors don't look like they were very sturdy to start with and a little rust combined with the weight of the vine and some of the wind we have been having has resulted in the arbors breaking off at the ground and trying to fall over. I know all the issues associated with the jessamine and considering I need to replace arbors I was thinking about replacing the jessamine with something more hummingbird and pet friendly.

I have thought about honeysuckle or crossvine or maybe even some sort of morning glory. Any suggestions?

Also, considering it's contents, if I remove the jessamine, is it something that could be shredded and composted or is

it something best put on the brush pile?

I hope I will finally have some time to post every once and a while now, this seems like such a wonderful group.

TIA, for any suggestions.

Michelle

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz