SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treeguy_ny

Fall is in the air (many pictures)

I love the changing of the seasons. Here's a few pics from my property and two at the end from elsewhere. I appologize in advance for the lack of focus. I couldn't get the camera to focus properly. Conifers first:

Pseudolarix amabilis. Interestingly, none of my Larix have begun to turn yellow yet.

{{gwi:613760}}
{{gwi:613761}}

Taxodium distichum. I brought this guy back from FL this summer. I'm interested to see how a FL baldcypress will do this far north. It developed a much nicer red-brown than any of my other baldcypress on the property (three others grown from seed of local trees) I'll keep my fingers crossed!

{{gwi:613762}}

Taxus brevifolia. No fall color, but I simply love this little guy. The dark green needles are quite glossy and just plain nice to look at.

{{gwi:613763}}

On to the broadleaf trees:

Cornus stolonifera. This stuff grows wild on the property.

{{gwi:613764}}
{{gwi:613767}}

Acer rubrum or saccharinum. At first I thought this was A. saccharinum due to leaf shape and bark characteristics, but the fall color is much too red/orange for the species. Perhaps it's a hybrid with A. rubrum? It and others with similar morphology and fall color are growing wild in the woods across the creek on the property.

{{gwi:613769}}

Cornus mas 'Golden Glory' - a new addition this fall.

{{gwi:613771}}

Franklinia alatamaha. I think this guy's fall color is slightly muted becuase he is only receiving a half day's sun. The Franklinias I've seen in local nurseries always had fall color as vibrant as the Cornus pictures above.

{{gwi:613773}}

Hydrangea quercifolia 'Snowflake'

{{gwi:613775}}

Here is a couple shots from a nearby grove of Nyssa sylvatica. They're growing in swampy waterlogged soil. Each tree was growing on a mound of exposed earth that wasn't more than four or five feet across - incredible! I collected seed from these guys. :)

{{gwi:613779}}
{{gwi:613781}}

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living