SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Many, Many Pictures of the Shrub Border

newyorkrita
16 years ago

Some of you who have been here a long time like I have know that I have been posting for many years about the yard makeover here. I have done a mixed shrub border running the length of my property line on one side and it has really turned the yard into a bird attracting magnet. Finially, here are some pictures.

This should give people an idea of what can be done in a space that is not really that big.

My yard is very much cottage garden style. Heavily planted with little lawn and a mixture of all sorts of plants both to attract the birds, bees and butterflies and flowers to give the garden color. Captions underneath the pictures.

First shot of the shrub line with a closeup of Cardinal Candy Viburnum. The border runs along the shadier side of my property line and hides my neighbors driveway from view. The sunnier side near the house is a rose and daylily garden. As you can see, there is not much lawn in the side yard.

This is a view from down the front side yard of the exact spot that I was standing in to take the prior picture. The really big Viburnum is Wentworth and I have three of them in my yard. You would never guess the driveway is behind them.

Another shot near the same spot.

View of the side yard with more of the sunny side in view.

Just a slightly different angle.

A view off my backyard patio. The shrubs start just off to the right of the view in this picture.

Shot in a similiar location. I call this part Azaela Hill and it runs right into the side yard shrub border.

Here is the view of the back patio looking towards the side yard shrub border.

These stairs go up to the top level of my yard and are located just to the left of the view in the prior picture.

Taken at the top of the stars looking toward the right and what will run into the shrub border.

{{gwi:234775}}

Moving around to the front of the property. This is a view taken from the street of the right side of the property. The rose garden starts just in front of the shrubs which just are in back of the line of cherry laurels. There are some shrub cherries on the side of the rose garden all the way in front near the street and there is a small cherry tree in this grouping too. Bulb lilies are blooming amoung the roses. Up on top is a new landscape block wall put in this spring that has been planted with daylilies. You can see some orange daylilies blooming there in this picture.

Close up of the daylilies blooming in the prior picture. In back of them you can just see my thornless blackberries which the birds also dearly live to eat.

Same section of the front yard taken from alittle further down.

Closer view of the rose garden area by the street.

{{gwi:234774}}

A closer view. This section of the front yard is total cottage garden with fruit, flowers and vines all interplanted.

Showing a closer view.

And still closer.

And finially a view of the left side which is my driveway side of the front yard. There is another hedgerow in back of the flowers which the birds love. In there are my goumi fruit shrubs which the birds eat and summersweet, aronia, more serviceberry and one of my five butterfly bushes.

This was all started a little towards the end of 2001 but mostly started in 2002.

Comments (20)