SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yeye7

Leaves falling off Valencia branch

yeye7
15 years ago

Hello, I bought a salad citrus tree about two months ago. I am a novice.

Now apparently-healthy leaves, maybe a tiny bit yellowish, but not much, are falling off in droves. I think they are only falling off the Valencia grafted branch. That same branch still has new leaves, tiny ones, growing on it. It also has new flowers in various stages and it has some baby fruit. But it is losing its leaves quickly.

I am careful about over watering. I stick my fingers as deep as I can into the soil and don't water until it is dry-ish.

WE've had a lot of wind lately. I live in Culver City, CA.

I lost my last citrus effort to spider mites. It was a traumatic experience. The tree had the most beautiful structure you could imagine. Spider mites are apparently everywhere in my yard, but I'm learning to control them with a manual pump spray applicator and occasional dilute applications of a petroleum oil I was sold for this purpose. I've also had my whole yard sprayed by someone who came out from the nursery, but the mites came right back. I don't think this problem is spider mites, because the telltale sign for spider seems to be tip dieback and lack of vigor and the mixed citrus tree doesn't have that. The tree seems vibrant. I think. But not as vibrant as when I got it. Sadly. What am I doing wrong?

I am a novice -- I really don't know anything but what I've said here.

About a week or two ago I mixed in some Citrus Growers blend--about half of what was recommended on the container for the girth of the trunk, into the perimeter of the pot. Same pot as when I bought it.

Gracias for any advice. I love my trees. Yeye.

Comment (1)