SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rcgeek1

How do i go about producing dwarf citrus in MN?

rcgeek1
12 years ago

I was planning to purchase multiple dwarf citrus trees from Four Seasons growers as well as Burgess. I am planning to keep them outside when it is 70+ degrees fahrenhight (Acclimating by them being in the garage for 2 days, then in shade outside for 5 days, slowly moving it into direct sunlight) and then bring it in, following the reverse of this and at the end of the week it will end up in my basement under grow lights. I will water them every 5 days or as needed, and keep the lights on for 12 hrs a day and off vice-versa. I am planning on using a mixture of peat moss and standard potting mix,and 12 inch terra-cotta pots with drainage holes. I am hoping for a lemon, a lime and a grapefruit (all 2-3 years) from Four Winds, and a Tangerine from Burgess.

Can anyone see any weak spots in my plan? Do you guys know of or recommend any grow light brand and/or type and/or setup?

My basement is very dry in the winter, and i have heard that this can be an issue. It is a relatively large, open area with limited ventillation. Will I need a room humidifier?

Thanks for your help.

Future citrus grower,

rcgeek1

Comments (6)