SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dazed_dnc

Dwarf citrus care

dazed.dnc
14 years ago

I think I need a visual reference of how dry the soil needs to be before watering my dwarf Washington naval. I understand they don't like soggy or constantly wet soil, but I can't seem to find the right watering practice. There are a number of other factors that might be playing in, but based on what I have been reading I'm almost certain that proper watering is the problem.

I have tried one small graft last summer, which survived for maybe three weeks - though it dropped a leaf for every week I had it. Looking back, I'm fairly certain that I was over watering. The leafs got kind of tender and droopy. The last leave even turned yellow before dropping. I thought I had learned something from this experience, so I tried again with two more this winter. They came in late January with a heat pack to keep them warm. They showed signs of stress, but perked up quite well after a day under my grow light. I watered them about half as much as I did the first tree. Things were looking great for about a week and a half. Then leaves started dropping again. This time, instead of drooping or turning yellow before dropping, they wrinkled up as if they had been sun dried. I suspect that I under watered them, but it may have been a lack of humidity or some kind of delayed frostbite response just as well. At any rate, I now have two twigs. One is still green enough that I'm hoping it will put out new buds some day - but it hasn't for the last month. The other is just a trunk from the rootstock that I'm trying to save. If I ever get one to survive, I would be interested in trying to re-graft the root stock.

I'm going to give this one more shot. I have a delivery of three scheduled for May. Before they get here, could anyone post or point me to some pictures that would give me visual ques? I have read a dozen or so articles, but I seem to have different ideas of what is "dry" or "soggy" compared to the authors. I get the feeling that a watering routine for citrus needs to be slightly more moist than "dry as a cactus". I'm also going to switch to rainwater/non-softened tap water and see if that helps any. I've heard bamboo and some other plants can be sensitive to softened water, but I had never seen evidence of it myself.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments (15)