SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olelander

dwarf citrus repotting/care question

olelander
16 years ago

Hi there,

Two years ago we recieved free with a large seed order four different grafted dwarf citrus (lemon-lime-orange-??) that were only about 6-9 inches tall.....last winter, in the hubbub of moving we killed two of them out of neglect. the two that remain have tripled in size, roughly, even though I have let nature take over watering duties this summer. Now, I have decided that I would like to bonsai them, since they are quite pleasing to look at. My question is this. Can I repot and do some pruning at the same time? Does continually trimming the tips help the trunk to fatten, as with other trees? One of the trees has a ton of little buds on it (I just discovered this today) so I think I will just leave it alone and watch it fruit up until next spring....but in general, how much growth can be taken off at any one time? How much root material can be safely removed? and finally, around what time of year should I expect the fruits to ripen up (I don't even know what kind of fruit is growing on the budded out tree-not lime is all I know for sure)?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio