SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happyhartshorne

Tips for over-wintering succulents on a balcony in Zone 6

happyhartshorne
13 years ago

I can't believe I'm thinking about this in August, but I'm going to be poking around garden supply shops this weekend, and I want to know what sorts of supplies I should be looking at.

My situation: My growing space is a terrace on a high-rise building in Zone 6. It gets southern and western exposure (so generally sun in the afternoons.) It is completely covered by an overhang, so little rain or moisture unless it's really blowing. It is also sheltered on two sides by the building. So in some respects it's more like an attached shed missing two walls.

I'm hoping to over-winter my pricky pear, sedums, semps, and jovibarba (and maybe an agave or two) in containers outdoors this year. (So tags at the nursery said hardy to zones 3-6 generally)

Is this realistic? I know you're supposed to subtract a zone if the plants are in containers, but then add zones if they'll be sheltered against a warm wall or something.

Any tips on what I should do? My collection is all new -- just got started in June -- and would hate to lose too many plants!

Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz