SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krazbuderfly

Plant Junkie seeks Zone 5-6 and Colorado Balcony Gardeners

KraZbuderfly
19 years ago

Hi there! I am looking for other Coloradians (or Zone 5-6 people) who love to garden every inch of their Balcony/Deck or patio. ...Ok ...maybe not every inch but tell me what yer grow'n out there! (Or what you plan to!)

I would be much obliged if you if you would list your directional sun exposure and how many hours of light your area gets. Also please list what thrives on your balcony & some things you've tried that didn't do so well.

I'm hoping this post will give me some lots of kewl ideas for what else i can stick out on my balcony!

PLEASE POST & LABLE PICTURES IF YOU CAN!!!

~My Balcony Garden~face>

My balcony is aproximately 18'x5' and faces slightly cocked toward the northwest sky. The balcony above me blocks quite a bit of the direct light. The south end of my deck (ledge) starts to get direct sunlight around Noonish. This end of the balcony has a solid low wall so anything i put upagainst the wall can get bright indirect light. On the North side, the slats are 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" and the north end ledge has direct sun exposure by about 1:30. The building across from me starts to block the sun (right now) around 6:30pm. I think by mid-summer i have direct light till about 7:30ish.

PERENNIALSface> that did pretty decent last year and have woken up from their long winters nap...

-Hostas

-Day Lilies

-Lily of the Valley

-Blue Fescue

-IcePlant (did well-but died over the winter)

P/HERBS:face>

-Common Chives(still kinda peeking out of the pot yet)

ANNUALSface> that did well last year...

A/FLOWERS:face>

-Petunias

-Marigolds (my son gave me for Mother's Day)

-Pansies

A/HERBS:face>

-Sweet Basil

-Cinnamon Basil

-Lemon Balm

Other stuff I grew that DID NOT do so great, but could very likely be my fault...face>

Vines:face>

-Morning Glories

-Moon Flower

-Cup and Saucer Vine (a lot of foliage, but no flowers)

A/Flowers:face>

-Baby Blue Eyes

Vegetables:face>

-Yellow Pear Tomatoes (produced a few that my son and I gobbled up right a way)

-Yellow Pepper (Sweet)

-Roma Tomatoes

-Anaheim Chile Peppers (produced a few on very small plants)

HERBS:face>

-Fernleaf Dill

-Common Thyme

-Sweet Marjoram

-Lavender (did not get much over 8" tall but lasted well into the winter.)

-Summer Savory

-Catnip (gave my neighbor across from me a few seedlings and he got a nice little plant out of it. Mine hardly grew at all!!)

Not sure i listed every thing i grew last year. This year i am/will attempt to grow...

-My Perenials that came back up this year

-Pentunias

-Pansies

-Yellow Pear Tomato (my son liked 'em)

-Annheim Chili Pepper

-Cup & Saucer Vine

-Morning Glory

-Moon Flower

-Any other kindov vine I can find that is supposed do well on my balcony

-Any and all Herbs I can get my hands on.

-& hopefully I'll get some good ideas from you as well!

I'll post pics as stuff grows and let you know what things i'm tryin' are actually working or not.

Hope ta hear from ya soon!

~KraZbuderfly face>

Comments (6)

Sponsored