SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryan112ryan

What I learned - My First Year Gardening

ryan112ryan
14 years ago

So I thought I'd post my thoughts and opportunities for learning (aka failures). I would love to hear some veterans chime in on these things, because I might still be doing it wrong or they have suggestions.

First off I live in Charlotte, NC Zone 7b. I started with a good sized garden, 150 square feet. I started seedlings a good while back, around March, using the Jiffy peat pots. Tempered them, then planted them outside after the last frost.

If you live in Charlotte, NC and would be willing to chat, I learned 100% from the web how to garden and would kill to see a garden of someone who knows what they are doing. Email me at ryan112ryan (at) yahoo [dot] com

-Seedlings didnt pan out too well, were very time consuming and I think I will stick to buying the plants next year. For some reason I just couldnÂt get them to be very robust, they were certainly alive but not really strong. Also the Jiffy pods seemed to restrict the roots even when I removed the "wrapper" of the pods

-Pruning seems to still elude me. I have yet to really attain full bushy herbs, I get tall, but really strong herbs, especially basil.

-My soil, NC Red Clay is awful, raised beds are the only way to go. I need to get a better handle on mulch, I didnÂt use any.

-Zucchini plants grow really big, they grew about 4+ feet wide, so I need to plant them with more space. This was a big mistake because the leaves overtook the potatoes and the tomatoes, which they fought for the sun light. This was all because they were too close and in the end the zucchini won over the potatoes (they died) and hampered the tomatoes allot.

-When I built a raised bed for my fall crops I did this. 60% topsoil (bagged from Lowes) 20% manure and 20% peat moss. I mixed it up and thatÂs what I am using. I donÂt know if this is the proper way.

-I rocked on basil and rosemary. These two really took off and have really grown allot.

-Something killed (ate them, I used soap and some other insecticide) all my peppers and I have no idea why.

-I think the red clay was a bad choice for oregano.

-Onions didnÂt ever grow to full sized onions.

Comments (9)